44 - 45 Caliber Coated HP Bullets

black mamba

There are now many, many on-line purveyors of coated cast lead bullets, primarily with the Hi-Tek coating, although there are others as well. I have yet to find any that offer coated hollow points. Plated HPs are available, but in my experience they lack the accuracy of coated cast bullets.

Does anyone know of any sites selling coated hollow points in .44 or .45 caliber? . . . Please share them.

T. O'Heir

A plated bullet is a cast bullet. A cast HP is a daft thing as a cast bullet will expand dramatically upon impact anyway. Just as likely to disintegrate too.
The whole coated/plated bullet thing is about reducing the amount of lead floating around indoor ranges. You'd have to be exposed to lead for a lot longer and in greater concentrations for it to bother you anyway. The coating/plating shouldn't affect accuracy at all. If it was done correctly.
HP's are mostly about self-defence. Not seeing any coated HP's either though.

BBarn

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with any sources of coated HP bullets.

As for the other stuff above, as many no doubt already know...

Most plated bullets are not cast bullets. Most plated bullets have cores that are swaged from pure lead. Most cast bullets are made from lead alloy and are harder than pure lead.

Non-hollow point cast bullets are typically hard enough to stay together and do not expand (or disentegrate). In fact the most reliable and most used bullets for big/dangerous game are probably cast lead alloy bullets (non-hollow point). To ensure reliable expansion of cast lead hollowpoint bullets, some people cast the hollowpoint portion with pure lead, and the area below the hollow point with a harder lead alloy.

Coated bullets may have their origins in reducing airborne lead. But many bullet casters and shooters are using coated cast lead bullets because they are cleaner than lubed lead bullets and often leave little or no lead fouling in the bore.

Lastly, many bullet casters cast hollow point bullets for hunting. The cast HP bullets reportedly work well on thinner skinned game like deer.

Last edited:

condor bravo

Another feature of coated bullets is that they produce considerable less smoking than conventionally lubed bullets. That goes for moly coated as well as the Hi-teks.

smoking357

A plated bullet is a cast bullet. A cast HP is a daft thing as a cast bullet will expand dramatically upon impact anyway. Just as likely to disintegrate too.

A cast hollow point enhances accuracy, as it moves the center of gravity rearward in the bullet, stabilizing the bullet and making a longer bearing surface for the rifling to impact.

Lots of Minie balls all over battlefields that didn't expand a bit.

I'm keen to know the effect of coating on accuracy. Does the coating bite the barrel a bit better than lead, alone? I'm also interested in knowing if the coating tends to gunk up the rifling.

shootniron

cast bullet will expand dramatically upon impact anyway. Just as likely to disintegrate too.

Completely FALSE statement...obviously, made by someone that has never shot and tested cast bullets.

74A95

I'm keen to know the effect of coating on accuracy. Does the coating bite the barrel a bit better than lead, alone? I'm also interested in knowing if the coating tends to gunk up the rifling.

Coating has not shown to have any specific effect on accuracy, that I'm aware of. It does not appear to degrade accuracy compared to traditionally lubed cast bullets.

The coating does not gunk up the rifling. It appears to be a improvement in that it eliminates/reduces smoke and leading.

Here's some light reading on the subject: https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/3/7/coated-bullets-the-future-of-lead-bullets-for-handloaders/

USSR

Quote:
cast bullet will expand dramatically upon impact anyway. Just as likely to disintegrate too.

Completely FALSE statement...obviously, made by someone that has never shot and tested cast bullets.

Yep, completely false. Hollowpoint expansion (dramatic or completely lacking) is determined by the alloy used in relation to impact velocity. Brass plated hollowpoints tend to be in the "completely lacking" category. If you want a hollowpoint to expand properly, use an alloy with little antimony, a lot of tin, and DON'T COVER IT UP WITH BRASS OR PLASTIC!

Don

Chainsaw.

USSR hit the nail on the head, the reason you dont find a whole lot of cast bullets with hollow points is the lead has to be alloyed to match the velocity. If Im selling lead bullets with hollow points I cant consider all of the various gun barrel length and speeds at which my customers might shoot them. I difference of as little as 40 fps can be the difference between expanding and not expanding.

So, back to being a bullet retailer, if you shoot my bullets to slow they dont expand amd you think Im selling an inferior product. If you shoot my bullets to fast and they explode, again, you think Im selling an inferior product. You can see hpw a bullet manf would want to avoid this bad press.