4198 in 6.5x55? Reduced load

Tacoma

I've seen a FEW hints that this powder works well for this old cartridge if your looking for reduced velocities. No real recipe's/refferences though. Anybody here ever run 4198 in this cartridge? Any refferences? I've got 120 and 140 gr bullets and a WHOLE lot of this powder so would be up for a experiment.
Thanks!

Wildalaska

I honestly dont see the need for reduced loads in a 6.5x55 (unless you are trying for subsonic)......

I cant say that 4198 would be suitable for that.....

Trail boss maybe

WildlikessubsonicAlaska TM

Tacoma

Thanks Gents,
I'm not really looking to make reduced loads. Just interested in the data. Figured if I found something interesting, i might make a dozen or so just to try out. Lots of powder and odd heads around and thought this might be a fun way to get rid of some of it.

kraigwy

I haven't used 4198 in my 6.5 X 55, but it was my go to powder for reduced loads in my 45-90 and 44-90 Sharps Bottle Neck. Using reduced loads of 4198 to equal the orginal BP loads.

Having said that, I reciently discovered Trail Boss. It seems to me to be a better powder for reduced loads because it fills the case. I haven't tried it in my 45-70 & 44-90 yet (or the 6.5) but in my 416 Rigby, 375 H&H, its the cat's meow. TB also works great in 308 with cast bullets.

I just haven't had time to work Trail Boss through all my guns yet, but next time I get to town, I'll get a couple gallons and really have some fun.

F. Guffey

Meets and or exceeds? I recall pictures of a Weatherby 300 Win Mag on a forum that was feed a steady diet of reduced loads, the rifle was rendered to scrap, I do not use reduced loads, I know, the Weatherby handled just like a doll buggy right up to the time it scattered, I like my rifles to go BAAAAAAANG, not BG!

F. Guffey