.410 Derringers

kst8fan

Looking to buy a .410/45 long colt derringer. I've owned a Taurus Judge revolver before but quality was an issue so I had it fixed, then sold it. Looking at either a Bond arms or American derringer. My question is are they a beast to shoot? I don't need one if they about break your hand. Mainly just needing it to dispatch small critters and to use it while river fishing. Thanks

bedbugbilly

Test fire one before you buy one . . . . common sense tells me it isn't going to be fun to shoot with either of those loads, You mention "small critters" . . . . I can't think of any "small critter" that requires a 45 Colt? I would think a small frame 38 such as a J frame would cover most everything - load it with a couple snake shot cartridges and a couple of woodcutters. A 45 Colt derringer is intended for "up close" to where you can practically reach out and touch your target. And yes, I shoot both 410s and 45 Colts so I know the recoil they have. Good luck in finding what works best for you and your situation.

10-96

I shot one with a .410 many years ago. As I recall, the most pleasurable part of the shooting process was putting it down.

franco45

The Bond Arms is a lot heavier than the American derringer and therefore has less felt recoil. The recoil is still substantial but not painful. I've owned both.

pjpjr

I own Bond Arms 410/45 Colt and love it! Fun to shoot, accurate and powerful.
Read about these fine firearms online and you will get all the information you need.
I enjoy mine and carry it often.

shootbrownelk

The S&W Governor is much better quality than a Judge. More money yes, but also worth more if you ever feel the need to sell or trade.

Bob Wright

I remember shooting a double barrel pistol years ago. I can't recall the brand, other than it was stainless steel and had stag grips. Also barrels maybe 4" long, and a spur trigger.

I fired several .410 shot shells, firing at a standing .30 caliber case maybe six feet away. After four or five shots, the case was still standing, but the grass around it was chewed up most impressively!

With the same pistol I shot several rounds of .45 Colt just aiming at the bank downrange, maybe 110 yards. The barrels shot about eight feet apart.

Bob Wright

BigJimP

Yes, they are a beast to shoot because the triggers on them are not very good ...and lots of recoil.

I have an American Derringer, model 6, chambered in .410 and .45 Colt. They have horrible triggers on them ( probably a 15 lb pull )....and they are meant as a "belly gun" really close range.

Shooting a .410 with "00" Buck ...at about 5 feet, its probably still effective...but no further than that. I've shot about 10 rds of .45 Colt thru it...again lots of recoil ...not fun to shoot.

I "inherited" the gun, when my wife's brother passed away...its all stainless, stag grips...he bought it for one of his 5 ex wives to carry ...( as a gift )...and it ended up in my hands. I keep it around ...just for giggles.../ take it to my local range once a year -- ( whoever loses our buddy handgun match that day...has to fire 2 rounds of .410 "00" buck thru it...)...or they buy the beer after the match ...and I haven't bought a beer in a long time.. :D

They won't break your hand...just not fun - and they are heavy for what they are...and 2 rds ../ lots of better options out there for a pocket gun in my view.

ShootistPRS

I have a Cobray derringer in 45/410 for snakes when I am out and about. I don't find the recoil objectionable but with such a small gun by the time you pull the 20 pound trigger you have a decent grip on what little grip there is.
I got it to replace the shot loads in my 357 and I will say it is much better than the 357 for snakes.

TruthTellers

I too have a Cobray/Leinad derringer, over/under model to be specific, and with .45 Colt it's nice to shoot, but with .410... wow. I don't know what it'd be like in a Taurus Judge, but if that's what .410 is like in a handgun, I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on a Judge or a Governor.

I would suggest you look at getting a Charter Bulldog in .44 Special and load it with birdshot. Very light gun, big bore is good for bigger game if you have to use it, holds a lot of shot for small pests and critters, and is more accurate than any derringer ever could be.

kst8fan

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try to get my hands on a derringer and put a few down range before I buy.