410/45 shotgun pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapsjanhere

Does anyone make a decent "SBS" stile shotgun pistol based on the 410/45LC rifled barrel exception? I found a Leinad version with worse reviews than a 73 Pinto, I'm looking for something more substantial and safe.

Carmady

I remember when a magazine put a Pinto in a wind tunnel only to discover that the car was more aerodynamic in reverse. I forget which year and body style.

You might like an American Derringer .45 Colt/.410.
The M-1 (3" barrels) will fire 2.5" shot shells.
The M-4 (4" barrels) will fire 3" shot shells.

Edit: if "SBS" means side-by-side disregard the above because they're over/under.

mapsjanhere

Actually the SBS stood for short barreled shotgun. I'm looking for something light and handy enough for snake defense while camping while big enough to get two hands on it, with a real forearm. This eliminates the simple derringer and judge models.

gpboy57

short barrel shotgun for snake defence

You might a take a look at the super comanche by eagle imports,410/45 cal i think it comes in 6" to 10" barrels rifled barrel, when you want to shoot 45, screw choke on when you want to shoot 410 shells, it looks like single action revolver but is a break open single shot, my niece is thinking about getting one, she pulled up to her house and found a rattle snake just a few inches from where she parked her 4whlr. they have them listed at buds gun shop- under eropean american armory -410 comanche- and they have a forearm you can hold- look up you tube video

Last edited:

lamarw

If you are OK with a single shot, then buy a heavy duty but inexpensive war surplus Polish flare gun and then the inserts either for .22, .410/.45 Colt, or .38 Special. Each caliber is a different barrel insert. The pattern is pretty good at ten yards with the three inch .410, but the .45 Colt will key hole making a nasty entry wound. The .22 is OK, and I have never tried the .38 Special insert barrel.

You can also get a 12 gauge flare insert barrel for it.

No sights, but don't expect any distance accuracy. (point & shoot)

It works well as a very low budget snake gun. :eek:

Cheapshooter

Actually the SBS stood for short barreled shotgun. I'm looking for something light and handy enough for snake defense while camping while big enough to get two hands on it, with a real forearm.

Kinda like looking for a compct truck that gets 30mpg, but will pull a 30' fith wheel camper!:eek:

Guess a 'Tender with a 45/410 barrel is the closest thing, but nowhere near as light and handy as my Judge PD Poly.

44 AMP

Staff
nowhere near as light and handy as my Judge PD Poly.

What is the weight on the Judge? with six rounds?

The Contender isn't light, but a 10" Contender is 4oz lighter than a 6" N frame S&W revolver. And in a .44 mag, it is "light", even with a 10" barrel.

Handy? no, I won't argue that. On the other hand, I like the Contender, and the look of the Judge just turns me off, even the steel ones.

Plus, with the Contender, if you want something OTHER than the .45/.410, you just buy another barrel. :D

Bill DeShivs

You can shoot all of the mentioned guns with 2 hands, just like any other pistol.
Trying to grip a forearm with your off hand offers no advantage and many disadvantages.
If you are worried that the .410 kicks badly-it doesn't.

mapsjanhere

Thanks for the many suggestions. Not a recoil issue, I tried the judge once and thought it was more the gas blast than the pellets that knocked the target down. Lots of bang for not much effect. The 10" contender barrel sounds about right, so I'd preferred a double barrel.

kozak6

I don't think there is such a thing.

You could hold a Bond Arms Snake Slayer sideways, I guess.

The Rossi matched pair pistol comes with a .410 barrel, but it's a single shot.

44 AMP

Staff
OR, you could go get a .410 double barrel, file the appropriate paperwork, pay the fees, and when you get Fed approval, have it cut down to fit your personal needs and desires.

Not quick or very cheap, but you could do it.

(note, only cut the gun AFTER you get the Federal approval. Cutting it before is a crime.)

Cheapshooter

What is the weight on the Judge? with six rounds?
Don't know, my Public Defender Poly only holds 5. But at 23 ounces empty, add 5 shot shells wit a half ounce of shot each, plus a heavy estimate for shell, wad, powder of an ounce or two it's still well under the 3 1/2 pounds of a 12" Contender. But except for an SSK Industries 45-70 10" barrel, all my 'Tender barrels are 14", and wear scopes.:D

Cheapshooter

I tried the judge once and thought it was more the gas blast than the pellets that knocked the target down. Lots of bang for not much effect
Wasn't "gas blast" that put all those tiny holes in a target laying on the ground like a snake would be when I tried my Judge PD Poly with #7 1/2 shot @ 10'. Then pereferated both sides of a 2 liter bottle at the same distance.
The 10" 'Tender would probably make a snake a little deader, but I'm not sure at want degree of dead you want your snakes.
Without the time, red tape, and expense of the legalities of a true SBS, the only other option would be a Derranger like the Bond Arms, but what difference in "blast and effect" would it have over a Judge, or Governor?
You haven't mentioned what kind of camping. Backpacking, RV, tent carried to campsite by vehicle?
For a snake gun easily stored in a RV, or small vehicle, the 'Tender would be very good. If you have room in a pack, and don't mind the weight, it would work for back packing. Not sure if they make a belt holster for a T/C Contender. As mentioned mine most often has a 14" scoped barrel on it, and I carry it to my deer stand in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick Bandolier holster.
A big plus to the Contender is the large number of caliber, and configurations of easy to change barrels available.:D
A big negative to the Contender is the large number of caliber, and configurations of easy to change barrels available.:eek:
Warning....THEY'RE LIKE POTATO CHIPS!!!!

Bill DeShivs

The only double side by side pistol you will find is the Lienad.
I still don't understand the "two hands and a forearm" thing. You could use any mid to large caliber revolver with shot cartridges. The risk of being bitten by a snake in most places is very low. Most snakes would rather not bite you. In some places it's illegal to kill them.

mapsjanhere

The last camp my cubscouts went to had three good size diamondback rattlers in it. We had an experienced herpetologist who removed them unharmed, but he's going to leave the pack by the spring, and I don't think snake handling is something you pick up from youtube. I don't know what the difference in power is between a .410 from a judge and a CCI 44 sp pellet load, but as I have the 44 I don't need a judge or derringer for pretty much the same effect.
As for the "make the snake an deader", I need something that make the snake dead NOW, which is why I wanted something that keeps the charge to about 4" at 10 ft, not 4' as the videos of judge shooting 410 seems to indicate.
I probably will go with a regular double barrel 410 that can be broken into pieces for easier carry if I can't find a non-NFA shorty.

Cheapshooter

There are lot of real life videos of what's left of an actual snake after being shot with a 410 in either a revolver, or derringer. Also several on paper, cardboard, plastic, and rubber snakes that are impressive. Others may be just intentionally out of range shots to dispel the performance of the format.
Either way, I think you are actually looking for a reason to buy a 410 double barrel.:D Nothing to fault in that. I've come up with some real doozies for a reason to buy a gun that trips my trigger many times. In fact, and not too far from your desire, I'm working on an excuse to buy a 28 gauge O/U That has recently sparked my interest.:D

Cheapshooter

My inexpensive Norinco coach gun has been very reliable. With a pistol grip it might work for you.
Is it available in 410 as the OP requested? If so, that might one for my short list. 410 doubles tend to be a bit pricey, and a little hard to find in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.