.41 Rem mag 210 grn. LSWC loads (referances to manuals)

m&p45acp10+1

I purchased a Lee mold and am now casting 210 grn LSWC. The only problem I am having is finding load data for the bullet. I used Trail Boss with good luck this past weekend. I have the Lyman Pistol and Revolver 3rd edition and it has the most load data of all of the manuals I could find at Cabella's. (All of the others had 2 or 3 bullet weights. ) My manual list one cast load for 215 grn LSWC and it list 3 powders I do not have. (Powders I have are Hi Skor 800x, Tite Group, Bull's Eye, and of corse as mentined earlier Trail Boss)
I have looked on Hodgdon's site and found listing for 215 grain, but no 210 grain loads. I am wondering if Lyman Cast bullet manual has load data for this bullet weight in .41 mag. I have no problem with buying the manual if the info I need is in it. If anyone has anyother referances I would greatly apreciate it. Thanks all
Nate

BruceM

"I have looked on Hodgdon's site and found listing for 215 grain, but no 210 grain loads."

I have to say that I always find posts of this nature interesting.

If you are using correct load development procedure-starting low and working up, what do you feel might be a possible problem when using a bullet of similar shape which is 5 grains lighter?

Consider this:

When casting bullets, molds are designed to cast a bullet of a given shape to a nominal weight when using a specific alloy. The weight of the bullet can vary +/- 1 percent or so as the cutting cherry wears and still be within spec. Also, the weight will vary if you change the alloy from the one the manufacturer specifies. Given these variables, when does published load data for this bullet become null & void? The answer is never IF you follow correct techniques.

Load data is exactly that-data. It is a reflection of results obtained on a specific date with a specific gun or fixture using specific lots of components under atmospheric conditions on that day. They are NOT recipes! A load which is completely safe in their gun or test barrel may not be safe in yours. Similarly, a load safe in your gun may not be safe in your friend's-even if both are the same make and model. Load development is just that-developing loaded ammunition for your gun using your components.

In almost all instances, the poster of the question has successfully taken a mole hill and made a mountain out of it. Just load 5 rounds with the starting charge list for the powder you're using with these 210 grain bullets and try them one at a time. Inspect each one after shooting it before firing another. You will not blow up your gun. Those types of accidents are invariably caused by human errors such as using the wrong powder, reading the scale or manual incorrectly or as is most common, double charging a case with a fast propellant such as W231 or Bullseye.

Bruce

m&p45acp10+1

Thanks for the info. I will just use the starting load info for the 215 grain bullet, and work up from there. I am shooting it through a Ruger Blackhawk so I will keep an eye on the brass for pressure sighns. I have as of yet felt the need to load a max load of any powder. Most of my loads are near start for my 210 grain plated flat point, and they work just dandy. The Trail Boss loads performed well in my tack driver. I will post some of the results when I can. Again thanks all.

m&p45acp10+1

I had a good day at the range today testing up the loads I have worked up. Here are the results.
Trail Boss shot some nice groups, very pleasurable to shoot. Tames the .41 to feel like shooting some docile .38 spcl. in a large .357 mag. My step mom likes theese loads. (I almost had to pry my Ruger out of her hand.:p)
Titegroup good general purpose loads in the whole range. Nice groups in the mid range with it.
Hi Skor 800x if this stuff was not such a pain in the butt to measure I would use it a whole lot more. It does not meter well from my powder measure. It had a good feel with it. Nice groups, little flash, and just the right amount of umph.
Alliant 2400 I like this powder with the lead. It feels very close to my H110 loads with the plated 210 grain flat point. 15.0 grains did very well. It is is the lower end of the mid range loading.
All in all this is one heck of a fun gun to shoot. It seems to shoot best with warm to moderately hot loads.
Thanks all for your help.

Nevmavrick

What kind of measure are you using? My RCBS works OK with 800x. It'll vary some by weight, but that's not a real problem, as 800x is a medium-slow powder. A couple 1/10ths here and there won't cause as much trouble as the fast stuff, like Alliant Bullseye or WW231, which I use from time to time...even in the .41.
I certainly agree about Trail Boss, with the gallery loads.
Using 2400 as a midrange load I do disagree with. It becomes inconsistent, though not as bad as a ball powder. It becomes much more consistent and clean-burning as you load it up. I like it better than H110 with jacketed bullets, and 2400 works very well with both cast OR jacketed. AND, 2400 works very well with any standard LP primer.
I'd look into slightly faster-burning powders for the mid-range stuff, but 800x should be fine...check the measure to get it to throw more consistently.
What's the barrel-length on your RBH? Mine was 4 5/8", and I'm now carrying a 6" S&W.
If you can, you might look into HPing your mold...Interesting!
What alloy do you play with? WWs are inexpensive, and I add 2% tin, for easy casting.
Have fun,
Gene

m&p45acp10+1

Nevmavrick my Blackhawk is a 6.5 inch bbl., as far as my powder measure it is a Lee Perfect Powder measure. (it is very far from perfect, yet I am satified with it aqt the price I paid for it, which is nothing:p) It meters everything else I use to constant levels. As far as the alloy I am using, I use wheel weights, I add 1 pound of 95/5 leadfree sodder for every 15 pounds of lead. My 210 grain SWCs drop at between 209, and 212 grains.
I went to the range today to shoot some more loads. 15.8 grains of 2400 performed well on the 100 yard rifle range. (Though it was a bit on the breezey side with a 20mph constant wind, with gust of over 30mph. Typical CenTex weather with a wind chill of 83 degrees F. :p)
I like Titegroup for my midrange loads. It works well, and does not take much. It burns very clean. The 2400 loads were all within a paper plate at 100 yards using my knee for a rest, sitting flat on my butt, that is with factory iron sights. I was going to get some 25 yard groups, but the wind was blowing the target boads sideways.
Well happy shooting all. I will post more as get more time, and another pound of Titegroup.