.41 Magnum Fun

m&p45acp10+1

Well between Uncle Sam giving me back some of the money I overpaid this year, and the company buying back my vacation I managed to scrape togenter enough to buy a New Model Blackhawk in .41 Rem Mag. I was also looking at a .44 mag. I own an Anaconda so I already have a .44 mag. So I took a feel of the .41.
It had 3 trebble hooks in it that latched into my hand.:p Needless to say I bought it. I hand load so ammo is not a big problem on my end. I left the gunstore with the gun, a set of RCBS carbide dies, a bag of 100 Remington brass cases (new) 250 Berry's Plated 210 grain copper plated swaged flat point bullets, and a box of Winchester Super X 175 grain hollowpoint silver tips. All for a grand total of $490 OTD.
I loaded up 50 rouinds last night and headed to the range today.
The results are in. This one is mine, I am keeping it. It shoots exreemly flat, has managable recoil, and is loud enough to make the guy shooting a .22lr ten feet to your left that is throwing brass on you almost drop his gun.:eek:. It is extreemly loud with my hand loads in the start load velocity is 1465 fps with a 210 grain bullet. It is a bit snappy, has a heck of a muzzle flash, and a thunderous booooooooom. It is fun to shoot, and has power to spare.
I will post some pics of it if I can get home, and tke a few snapshots with my crappy web cam.

Suwannee Tim

That's what magnum handguns are all about. Scarring people at the range. We have a chap at my range who shoots a 500 S&W on the 7 and 15 yard lines where all the daily members shoot.

Last edited:

rodfac

I've had a Smith 57 for over 20 yrs that I shoot occasionally...with similar results. Fast loads...over 1200 fps by my definition, are really manageable. It's a great hunting caliber and I often wonder why I haven't used it more. Mine came with an 8-3/8" barrel that was an absolute tack driver back in the early 80's...first group went into less than an inch, ctr to ctr, at 25 yds...but the long barrel was a royal PITA to lug around.

I had the gunshop at Smith replace it with the 6" one a yr later and while it's accurate, (sub 2"), it's not the same tack driver that the original tube was. With older 2400, any good 210 jacketed bullet pushed by 18.5 gr, it will do over 1300 fps and is more accurate than I can hold any more.

Since then I've acquired a 6-1/2" Ruger NM BH, and again it's a real shooter. The lighter frame compared to the Smith, makes it noticeably muzzle heavy. If I'm not paying enuf attention, I'll drop some shots low. But with a good grip, it's as accurate as the Smith and the same loads work as well. I"m bidding on a Ruger Flat Top in .41 now, to go with my .357, .44 Spl, and Mag's. I do like that old time flat frame...and all of them are really good shooters...

If your pondering new loads, you might like the following: (I use R-P brass and Win LP caps.) As always, these are my loads in a 6" Smith M-57...you should work up to them for your piece.

4.8 of Bullseye with Lyman's 41032, 215 gr in my ww alloy for 1.5" at 25 yds.
7.9 gr of Unique, with Rem's 200 JHP, for 1-1/4" at 25 yds
18.5 gr of older 2400 with Rem's 200 JHP for 1-1/2" at 25 yds
5.7 gr of Win 231 with Valley's 215 gr TWC lead for 852 fps chrono'd and 1.0" at 25 yds.

Regards, Rodfac

41mag10mm

First, rodfac - thank you for your service!

My first handgun was a 6.5" Blackhawk in .41 Magnum and its been my favorite caliber ever since. I currently own a S&W 657 and a Ruger Redhawk in .41, both of which are very accurate. My most accurate load is 21gr of H110 under the Hornady 210gr XTP. If your going to hunt with the .41, that's the load for deer size game. You can get lead bullets from a number of sources up to 300gr for larger game. Welcome to the .41 Magnum fanatic club. I seriously doubt you will ever be without at least one for the remainder of your shooting life.

Bohica6284

Long live the .41 mag! It's by far my favorite revolver caliber and in fact it was my first revolver! An S&W 57 w/ 8 3/8" barrel that I still own. This past year I also acquired a Taurus Raging Bull SS in the same caliber. In my opinion it's better balanced than the 57, though it is bulkier. I installed a fiber optic sight on the Bull and fed it my favorite load of Accurate 9 with a 210 Hornady XTP. It needs a little tuning with the handloads, but it has a lot of potential. I just don't shoot the .44 well. Recoil doesn't bother my shoulder under any circumstances, but for some reason my hand is not cool with it! I have owned the single action .41's as well and will probably again before long.

rodfac

41mag10mm...You're welcome...it was an honor to serve....... Haven't tried that particular load (21.0 gr of H110 with the XTP)...do you have any chrono data for it? Also...are you using Magnum Primers with it. I've generally relied on Win LP's for most all of my loads, but do find in really cold wx that CCI 350's give better ignition.

Bohica...(interesting handle padnuh!)...what charge wt. are you using for that Accurate Arms 9 load with the XTP's.

Thanks...Rodfac

41mag10mm

Haven't tried that particular load (21.0 gr of H110 with the XTP)...do you have any chrono data for it? Also...are you using Magnum Primers with it.

I don't have current data for it but I remember getting about 1450 from my 7.5" Redhawk with this load. I haven't got my Chrony out in a LONG time so I guess its time. I've always used magnum primers with H110 since its one of the slowest powders suitable for magnum loads. BTW - max load currently in the Hodgdon data is 22gr H110 under the 210gr xtp. I worked my load up long ago and haven't tried to increase it to max.

MosinM38

.41 Mags are nice guns :D

I got a S&W .41.

Nice little gun, as much as some people laugh and say "get a .44" the .41 does it's job.

I been thinking of getting some good quality SD loads and conceal Carrying it now that coat-weather is upon us..>Thing's accurate enough for the job.

rodfac

41Mag10mm

I don't have current data for it but I remember getting about 1450 from my 7.5" Redhawk with this load. I haven't got my Chrony out in a LONG time so I guess its time. I've always used magnum primers with H110 since its one of the slowest powders suitable for magnum loads. BTW - max load currently in the Hodgdon data is 22gr H110 under the 210gr xtp. I worked my load up long ago and haven't tried to increase it to max.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a try. In my 6-1/2" BH I'm thinking it should do about 1400 fps or there abouts...a good hunting load to be sure. Just bought a Ruger Flat Top .41 Magnum on gunbroker...can't wait to give it a try...I do like Flat Tops! Rodfac

m&p45acp10+1

Well I just got home from the range after testing a few loads. All performed extremely well. This gun is a ton of fun to shoot. It is a tack driver with every load I have run through it. I have not been able to get any pics of it yet, and will work on that.
The results of my tests are as follows.
19.8 grains of H-110 starting load in my Lyman Manual. Grouped quite well for as hot of a load as it is. I had a few loaded to 20.4 grains, and the differance was marginal.
7.0 grains of Titegroup was a very good target load. Soft on muzzle flash, and recoil, while still staying flat shooting. My girlfriend like this load for targets. (She had a huge grin after the hotter loads though.:D)
7.2 grains of titegroup seemed the best all around for accuracy, and controlability.
All loads used Wolf Large Pistol Primers, Berry's Copper plated swagged 210 grain flatpoints.
This gun is a keeper. It hooked me with how it felt in the gunstore. Everyone that has shot this one likes it. If you like the .357 Magnum loaded with full house load, you will love the .41 Mag.

m&p45acp10+1

Who forgot to tell me how darned addictive this gun is. I started casting bullets for mine. I almost had to pry it out of my step mom's hands after she shot it with some of my cast lead SWCs, loaded with a mild load of Trail Boss. I also bought some Alliant 2400 for use with the 210 grain LSWCs. My cast are with Lyman's #2 alloy or a bit harder. 15.0 grains of 2400 performed well. My Blackhawk seems to like warmer loads for some strange reason. The hotter loads group very well at 25 yards.
This caliber should be a whole lot more popular than it is.I now know why there is not much of a market for the used ones. It seems that most people that have them that hand load keep them.(and shoot the snot out of them) Oh well it means more loading supplies for me to be able to buy without having to compeet with everyone else buying them all up.:D

Last edited:

WVfishguy

I love the .41 mag. This S&W Model 57 no dash .41 magnum is a lot more accurate than I'll ever be:
000_0001-4.jpg

I bought it a few weeks ago for $520 out the door. Perfect condition. I don't think it's had a full box of ammo shot through it.
I reload all my own ammo, so I can afford to shoot it.

Chesster

The .41 got me into reloading. I mostly load to a .41 Special load these days. Below is my second Old Model Ruger purchased on auction this past year. Great guns and very versatile caliber.

3screw41a.jpg

surbat6

I became a .41 fan when I bought my first one, a S&W M58, in 1968. Over the years I've owned the S&W M57 and M58, a couple of 3-screw Blackhawks and a Taurus 415 snubby, and I still have some of them. One item on my want list is a Marlin M94 in .41 mag.
My usual carry gun is the Taurus 415, a 5 shot, 2 1/2 inch barrel, .41 mag. stainless bulldog.

srsmith

Another 41 Mag fan reporting in !

As always, start low and work up carefully in YOUR gun.

Chrono data from my 6" Ruger Blackhawk:

Hornady 210 XTP @ 1399 fps
22 gr H110 (max load in the Hornady #7 manual is 22.7)
New Starline brass
CCI 350
Heavy Crimp

Hornady 210 XTP @ 1372 fps
19 gr V V N110 (max load in the v v 4th edition 1s 19.8)
New Starline brass
CCI 350
Heavy Crimp
This has much less flash and blast than the H110 load.

Be safe and have fun !

-steve

WVfishguy

Chesster: The .41 got me into reloading. I mostly load to a .41 Special load these days.
Me too. I'm not going to shoot the hell out of that classic S&W. If I want to shoot heavy loads, I'll get a Blackhawk. :D

Chesster

I'm not going to shoot the hell out of that classic S&W.

Agreed on that. Here is my Smith & Wesson M58 which I rescued from an aftermarket nickel job, a Bomar rib and some tacky wood grips. I had David Clements "reclaim" her with a rounded butt and sighted in for 170gr Silvertips.

The one on the bottom is an old three screw Ruger that someone had customized and I bought it on auction a while back. It is a good shooter but I still keep the loads modest for the old girl.

Pic006.jpg

bh41.jpg