41 mag vs. 45 acp

pawcatch

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but which with the best factory loads is a better stopper?My guess would be the 41 mag.What's yours?

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Although I like the .41 Magnum very much; I would have to say the .45 ACP has been more widely used as a BG stopper.:)
Big, slow, .452 diameter bullet's have a tendency to put men
down for the count!!!:D

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

J. Parker

Please bear with me on this one but it's the only data I could come up with. From The Stopping Power Home Page (Marshall); 41 magnum Silvertip, 53 shootings, 89% "one shot stops". 45 ACP Federal Hydra-Shok, 71 shootings, 94% "one shot stops". There's newer 41 magnum loads on the market (Cor-Bon) and newer 45 ACP loads but no data as yet. Difficult question actually because normally a 41 maggie isn't used for human self-defense. Best Regards, J. Parker

lucky085

A 41 magnum is a better stopper if you go by the theory that bullet expansion will much more likley take place with it rather than a 45.

Both will do the job well if aimed correctly.

WESHOOT2

Working on a light (120- to 170g) defense load for 41 Magnum, but at this point the very best 45ACP ammo is much better for defense.

Hard Ball

I shoot both calibers and I think that they are approximately equal in stopping power. but the .45ACP is much faster to reload in a revolver or an automatic and a quakity .45ACP automatic holds 8 to 11 shots compared to 6.