.41 Mag...To Reload or Buy Factory?

azsixshooter

I have a 5.5" New Model Bisley Blackhawk in .41 Mag. I've been shooting Remington HTP 210 grain jacketed flatpoints and Grizzly Cartridge Company 265 grain hard cast wide flat nose lead bullets.

I acquired this gun to be a deer hunting pistol and bear defense gun around camp. I just went up this weekend camping and shooting and had a great time shooting the Remington HTPs. But they are kind of expensive and I was wondering if anyone is handloading something similar to that. I like the jacketed flat points for hunting so that is what I was hoping to get if I were to tool up to reload. I already reload rifle and pistol ammo so I just need dies and components to laod for .41 Mag. But the bullets I've looked at seem pretty expensive and I haven't had much time for reloading lately. If I can't find a way to save a significant amount of money I think I might just be better off buying a box or two of the Remington HTPs now and then. But I wanted to see what others are doing with their .41 Mags and if there is a way maybe I can handload something I could use for hunting but also shoot more of without breaking the bank.

I really enjoy the .41 Mag a lot, my .357 Mag gets more attention but I'd like to get more practice shooting hunting loads out of the .41.

Thanks!

Steve

nhyrum

You'll be able to get a better cost buying cast bullets, or even casting yourself, depending on the price of lead in your area. You might just have to use gas checks. The bullet diameter is probably going to be hard to find on shelves (if you can find ANYTHING on shelves now...) Jacketed bullets can be had at around 30 cents each, which, while not great, isn't bad.

If it was me, I'd get a lead pot, a decent mold and cast, but I've got a mess of lead that I got free.

My second choice would be to grab a set of dies and order bullets off the internet, with cast bullets being the economy choice.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

scatterbrain

Hornady 210 grain, 17 grains of 2400 and CCI 350 works in my Model 57. No lead bullets for me. That puts velocity 1/2 way between my .357's and .44's.

rodfac

Whether to reload or not depends on the amount you'll be shooting that .41. But to get the full usefulness of it, reloading is the way to go. You've got the bulk of the tools now, if I read you correctly...so it's just components...for lead alloy LSWC's, I really like Missouri Bullet Co's offerings. I cast my own as well and find that Missouri's are every bit as good as my carefully cast ones.

For jacketed bullets, I like standard for caliber 210-220's by Hornady. Their 210 gr XTP is a real winner in all of my .41's. (3 Rugers and a Smith 57)

An added benefit is that you can tailor the loads to your use...but I'll opine that you'll not save significant money...you'll just shoot more and enjoy it much more. Best Regards, Rod

mikejonestkd

Reloading is the way to go with the .41 mag.

I buy cast bullets and load nice powder puff loads for plinking, and use Hornady jacketed bullets for magnum loads.

Its a pretty versatile cartridge- more pop than a .357, without the pain of a .44

ballardw

Having gone years with at most one on-the-shelf .41 magnum brand/load at the local store when there was no ammo shortage reloading is the main way to go.

ammo.crafter

41 Special

Shooting/hunting/reloading 41 mag for 40 years.
Full potential and versatility is via reloading.

If you end up reloading, PM me for 41 Spcl load information.

GeauxTide

Another vote for reloading. I have the same revolver and a 657 Smith. Have loaded the 41 since the 70s and love it. I use 215s SWC @ 1000 and 210 RemSP @ 1300. Unique for the lead and H110/296 for the Rems.

steveno

at one time Midway had Remington 210 grain soft points in bulk and it is a pretty good bullet. it has been a number of years ago. lately I have been using the Hornady 210 grain hollow point

azsixshooter

Thanks RODFAC, I'll be sure to look into the Missouri Bullet Company. And thanks for your service too! I read a lot about the Viet Nam War and especially Special Forces involvement. It's fascinating and I really appreciate what you did. I teach my daughter about how important our veterans are all the time so she will appreciate you all too.

And Ammo Crafter, I forgot about .41 Spl loadings. I seem to recall someone was even making brass with the .41 Special headstamping. Starline maybe? The thought of plinking ammo in my Blackhawk sure sweetens the pot in favor of reloading!

Thanks to everyone else too, it is awesome to meet other members in the Cult of the .41 Magnum!

FrankenMauser

If you're not shooting much, just buy factory - especially given the current availability of primers and powder, and opposite situation for 'niche' cartridges like .41 Mag.

But if you want to shoot it more, start reloading.

Mike / Tx

I've had a 41 since around 85'ish. Since the beginning it's been mostly reloading for me. I have picked up a sample of factory thru the years but mainly just to compare to.

My staple load has been 20.5grs of 296 under the Remington bulk 200gr JHP. Out of my Redhawk it runs 1350'ish FPS and has done an outstanding job on deer and feral hogs.

That said those bulk bullets are nearly impossible to find, but the Hornady 210 XTP is right there with it regarding accuracy and performance on game. I use the same powder charge and get almost the same velocity.

I started casting around 8 or so years back and that opened up a whole new world for me. There are some awesome molds being made that almost duplicate the factory jacketed bullets that I have used over the years. Whether a RNFP or HP you can make high performance ammo for a fraction of the cost. If you don't want to cast your own, look at Montana Bullet Works for a good selection of hunting bullets. My friend and I have tried most of their 200 thru 230gr bullets and they are top notch. They certainly aren't the only dealer and quite a few offer similar profiles.

Best advice I can give is to slug your barrel before ordering, and ask any vendor if you can purchase a sample pack before buying a large quantity. For the most part .410" will work just fine, sometimes. 411" just does better.

Whatever you shoot, its a great caliber.

T. O'Heir

Buying factory gets expensive quickly. And with .41 Mag, it'd be "If you can find any." too.
Reloading lets you tailor the ammo to your revolver as well.

SIGSHR

I had my 4" M-57 for 10 years before I fired a factory load. 7.5 grains of Unique under a 210SWC is my standard load. Bullets were occasionally hard to come by.

black mamba

Any 210-220 grain flat-nosed bullet, whether jacketed or not, makes a great hunting bullet in 41 mag at anything over 1000 fps. Burn rates from Unique to 2400 work well in the 1000-1100 fps range, which is plenty for whitetails and pigs.

I agree with that. Get a Lee 90335 mold to start, so you don't get a lot invested. You can also use their tumble-lube with that one and not have to size them; just shoot at the as-cast diameter unless your gun won't let them chamber. If you need a gas check, saturate some of these in tumble lube to stick to the bottom of the bullets. Wide flat point designs do an amazing job on game.

Eventually, you may want something heavier than 210 grains, in which case you can invest in an LBT mold or in one of the other custom mold maker's products to get the weight you want and more than two cavities if you want that.

Jim Watson

I can't imagine shooting all factory in a .41 (or any other centerfire, for that matter.)

I would do like mike jones, a case of cast, coated, or plated bullets for fun, a box of the high priced spread for hunting.