41 mag shot shells

intruder

A few years ago I read and article how to make 41 mag shot shells. first you would use unique I think about 3.5 grains. Then take a 410 shot wad cut it flush with the case mouth. Put in your shot and crimp a 357 gas check at the mouth Has anyone tryed this? Or know of any other process.

Edward429451

Sounds feasible to me. I use 410 wads for 45acp shotshells and they work fine. They being 410 (41 cal., no reason I can think of why it wouldn't work. I've never actually tried making 41 SS's though.

Remington SP410 wads work the best for me. Good luck, and let us know how much success you have!

hoghunting

A buddy of mine loaded his shotshells for over 20 years and got very good patterns from his. He would use a light charge of powder, insert a gas check-cupside up-, load his shot to just below the case rim, then cover the shot with a gas check-cupside down- and crimp the case as if it were a flush seated wadcutter. The only problem is most gas checks are sold in packages of 1000.

Rimrod

I don't remember what powder charges I used but here is what I found:

I had used trimmed shotshell wads but they not only take too much time they also take too much space. There is a product made for cap and ball revolvers that is used instead of lard, I think it is called "wonder wad". It is made of felt and uses a dry lube, and comes in sizes for .36 and .44. Get the .44 caliber and roll them between your fingers until they fit in the case, then push them down with a pencil.

Fill the case with shot just below the rim, leaving enough room for an overshot wad.

The best thing to use for the overshot wad is thick cardboard cut to fit the case mouth. The easiest thing to use is a .41 caliber gas check set upright (looks like a cup) and crimped into place. But these are not for long term storage.

dakotashooter2

I don't shoot a lot of them but they do work fairly well in my gun. I do find that the gas check tends to cause the center of the pattern to be pretty thin but it could possibly be cured by using a cardboard wad. The shotcup does reduce capacity some but it seems to help hold the pattern together a bit longer. They are a snug fit so there is no question they provide a good seal.

JJB2

i've made my own .357 mag shotshells for yrs... i took an old .38 spl case and sharpened the case mouth with my case deburrer... then i used the sharpened case to cut wads out of plastic lids off butter containers and such.... you can get alot of wads from one old lid.... then you prime the case, put in about 3 grs of bullseye,put a wad over the powder,push it down to the powder but do not compress it, put shot in the case up to the case mouth, put another wad over the shot, and then crimp the case to hold it all together... i've had real good luck making them this way....... they seem to patern pretty good too........