.41 Mag Python ? / Mod 58?

Chindo18Z

A recent thread on Colt Pythons brought out the fact that a limited number were produced in .38 Special and that a REALLY limited number were produced in .41 Remington Magnum. My questions: How many? When? Price (if one was for sale now)? Has anyone ever seen, handled, or fired one? Availability? Does the .41 sized frame stand up to the load (like the S&W frame)? I have always lusted after the idea of a custom 5", Blue, .41 Python...
On a related note...what is the availability and price for a S&W Mod 58? I've a soft spot for .41 Mag (used to own Mod 57 and Ruger Blackhawk). Forget the politics of the two firms for a minute. I would really like to find a Mod 58 (I think the .41 Colt would be relegated to the realm of unaffordable exotic sports cars). ;)

Don't know squat about Colts, they don't interest me.

I recently picked up a 58 4" for a song, $275, in about 99% condition.

They're around, but not as common as the adjustable sight version. Your best bet is to try Gunlist.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.

JNewell

I know someone who owns two .41 Mag Pythons. They were bought from the same person. IIRC, the original owner was a Colt employee, and these revolvers may have been prototypes rather than any kind of official production -- I don't really remember.

Hard Ball

I seem to remember reading a few years ago that the .41 Magnum version was not put into production because the Python's relatively light frame would not stand up to the steady use with .41 Magnum cartridges.

SnakeLover

The Python actually had several caliber variations, from .22LR and WMR (Prototype only) up through .44 Special. Other calibers included .256, .38 Special and the aforementioned .41. I have seen the .256 and the price tag was something even I as a Colt fan could hardly believe. You could try BlueBook to see if they break out the variations and prices, but I'd guess that the price would be whatever the buyer is willing to spend.

Snake

I was at the Virginia Gun Collector's show this afternoon, and saw two Model 57s, both 6". One was in the mid-400s, the other in the mid-500s.

I also saw 657 3" custom jobbie that a home "gunsmith" had worked on. The hammer could be pushed off of full cock with only light to moderate pressure.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.