.41 Mag LSWC Loads?

LIProgun

Looking for .41 Magnum loading data using 210 or 215 grain LSWC bullets and Unique. I have data for other powders.

Prefer loads in the 900 to 1000 fps range.

Please let me know if any velocities you cite are published or chronographed.

Thanks to all in advance.

[This message has been edited by LIProgun (edited October 05, 2000).]

MADISON

.41 Magnum loads
The following fit into the old police load catagory [210-215 grain lead] catagory.
8.o grains of UNIQUE
5.0 grains of UNIQUE is a PPC load that I use in my 3 inch 657.

LIProgun

I'm a regular reader at Sixgunner.com. A great site, and the articles on .41 Mag are great, but the requested load data is not there as far as I can tell.

Thanks anyway.

Dimitri

Hodgdon Data Manual #26 is showing 8.0 gr. for 200 - 210 gr. jacketed, and 7.5 gr. for 220 gr. jacketed.

First loads are listed as 1028 fps. in a 6" bbl. Second loads are 989 fps. Small pistol primer, doesn't say which one.

Your milage may vary.

LIProgun

Small pistol primer in .41 Magnum? Can that be right? So far I have only reloaded Remington and Winchester brass, but they both use large primers.

QuickdrawMcGraw

I have been firing LSWC in my 41 Mag since 1980. My current load is 9.8 grains of Unique topped with a 215 gr. hard cast bullet. I'm guessing but, I think the velocity should be around 1050 to 1175 fps.

I have used loads between 8.0 to 10.2 grs of Unique but I have settled on 9.8 grs because that what my Hornady pistol powder measure throws with a #21 bushing. Note, the Hornady bushing chart shows that a #21 bushing throws a charge of 10.6 gr. of Unique. Moral of the Story: Don't trust the charts and weigh your charges.

LIP,

I was wondering about the small pistol primer in the .41 myself.

I finally got the dies this weekend (Lee), and on the accompanying paper it says Small Pistol Primer.

I haven't checked any of my manuals, though, so I don't know for certain. Kind of took me by surprise, but I had to run out the door, so I didn't think about it again.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!

Jay Baker

I've been reloading and shooting .41 Mag., for many years, in my Mdl. 57 and my Marlin lever rifle. I've used every kind of .41 brass out there and haven't seen one taking small pistol primers.

Side note: although not Unique, Blue Dot is a great powder for .41 Mag. 12 grains of Blue Dot behind a 215 hard cast will = approx 950 fps, in my six inch bbl.

I use Unique, but like Blue Dot better for .41. FWIW. J.B.