.41 Colt

B. Lahey

I have developed the weirdest interest in this round... Am I alone, or are there others out there who own / shoot / covet / load for this cartridge?

Several years ago I ran across a fellow looking to sell his old Colt. The gunshop was not interested, so I flagged him down in the parking lot. It was a second generation DA, something like a civilian New Army and Navy in .41. I gave it the checkout and it was the picture of mechanical health, but it was externally ugly. I passed, although I probably could have bought it for $50 or less. I would have wanted to shoot it, and I had never seen ammo for sale anywhere...

But of course this last summer I saw two original boxes of ammo on a gunshow table, and I've been kicking myself for not buying the gun all over again.

shurshot

I shot a skunk with an old Colt double action .41 LC (Army model, I think), a couple years ago. The gun belonged to a family friend. A big old slug, described by Elmer Keith years ago as "a good Man stopper". It's no .41 Mag, but it will do the job!

Shotgun693

Brass is available from several sources. Cast bullets or molds are fairly easy to get. The .41 is actually a .387 caliber, an unsized cast .38/.357 bullet might work if cast kinda soft. It was available in the Single Action Colt starting in about 1877. The original load was about as powerful as a .38 Spl. I have seen Cowboy Shooters using original guns in .41 at matches but not many nor very often.

.41 Colt originally was loaded with heel-base bullets of .401 diameter.

That was changed probably in the 1880s or 1890s to the bullet we see today.

Quincunx

I actually carry my 1916 Colt Army Special on occasion. I've only ever used hollow-based smokeless loads. I can be reasonably accurate with it out to 30-50 feet or so, but it's strictly minute-of-beach-ball much beyond that.