40S&W or 45ACP

toybox99615

I'd appreciate hearing from a few steel shooters on their choice for caliber.
I'm about ready to purchase/build a semi for myself. There is no sanctioned meets here but at least I'd like to be equipped with a semi that would be appropriate for when I get to a sanctioned meet. I'm preferring a limited class 1911 and I'm considering which caliber. :confused:

As I understand from a few ex-shooters the 45 ACP recoil is one of the major considerations if you are going to run through 150 rounds in an afternoon. I tend to agree after shooting Bullseye matches and only going through 30 rounds.

Meanwhile a State Trooper friend competes on the Alaska Trooper team and finds his 40 S&W in a Glock to be easy on the body in all day events.

I currently shoot a S&W model 52 amoung other selections (model 60s and 65s.) That 38 wadcutter and I could go all day with no recoil issues. Maybe a 38 Super is a good choice to consider as well. :D

To many choices and not enough time to make them all. :cool:

rbrgs

At least at the range where I shoot (IPSC & IDPA once a month), 1911s seem to work well in either.38 super or .45, not so well in .40.
There's lots of good .40s; if you can't shoot several to compare, at least hold them and see which one feels better.
Try this: hold the pistol at low ready, look at something that's in a safe direction (I'm assuming you're doing this at the gun shop), close your eyes, bring the pistol up in a shooting grip, open your eyes and see where it's pointing. If you're looking at a good sight picture, it fits your hand, buy it. As long as the pistol is reliable, they're all good.
I have recoil issues with the .45 as well; I really like my H&K P7--I get creamed in IPSC, but every once in a while I'll win IDPA. I've actually been first and last (in different matches) in the same weekend with the same pistol.
Besides being good practice, shooting action pistol matches is fun.

toybox99615

Caspian

rbrgs I'm thinking of having a Caspian built with a 6 inch in SS. I dont think there will be any difference from 38s to 40S&W to 45 ACP as far as weight or feel. But for the kind of cash I'm ready to part with I'd sure like to get the caliber right the first time.

What problems with the 40 cal do you see most often?

yar

For steel I would do a 9mm. Not sure what format you use for steel matches. Steel matches are pretty popular in So Cal and we have run and gun steel and static steel (steel challenge).

9mm will be less expensive and can be downloaded pretty light (no power factor for steel). Though I prefer a 124 going 1250 to take falling plates with athority.

If you go wide body gun you'll get lots of magazine capacity. This would be the route I would go.

glockopop

Recoil is a very subjective thing. To me, I prefer the "push" of a .45 over the "snap" of a .40. With major PF loads, I give the edge to .45. In USPSA I've switched from a Glock 35 in .40 to a Wilson KZ45 in .45, and it's better for me.

yar

I'm the opposite. I dislike the slow pushy recoil of the 45. I feel like I'm waiting on the slide. I much prefer fast and snappy, the splits I shoot agree.

Hunter Customs

The 9mm is the choice for a gun to use in steel matches. If you are shooting reactive steel some matches will regulate the steel to fall at a 130 power factor, the 9mm will have no problem making a 130 PF.
The last time I shot the World Handgunner Shootoffs I used a six inch slide 9mm that took me to a 3rd place finish.
I still have the gun, I'm trying to decide if I want to sell it or chamber it to 9x23 and use it for hunting.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Hunter Customs

2-14-2004-f.jpg

Heres a picture of a couple of the guns I used for steel matches, both are 9mm. The racegun on the right I've sold, the long slide on the left is the gun that took me to a third place finish in the American Handgunner World Shootoffs.
It has very little recoil and that's what you want in a gun used for steel matches.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

toybox99615

HUM! 9mm

Well until the last post by Hunter I would not have considered a 9mm. Not that I had any reason to not consider it. After considering the shooting done by Bob using his 9mm. I'll have to put it on the list for consideration.

Anyone have a comparison of the 38Super to the 9mm?

Hunter Customs

There's a limited and open division in most major steel matches, that's the reason I had two guns, one for each division.
I also competed in some action pistol matches that allowed me to shoot both divisions in one day.
The 9mm is the best caliber for all the matches I listed above as you are not required to make major power factor.
Keep in mind that most matches are a lost brass match and 9mm brass is much cheaper then 38 super, at todays prices for reloading components that can become a pretty big issue.
The last American Handgunner World Shootoffs I competed in I shot a little over 2300 rounds in four days of shooting, that's a lot of brass to leave but at that time 9mm brass was only about a half cent a piece, 38 super was averaging 15 cents or better a piece.
The other advantage to the 9mm is the mild recoil. Steel shooting is a speed game, the faster you get back on target the faster your hits will be.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com