40S&W Kb Question

Coop de Ville

Good morning to all and Happy Holidays. I had a question about the 40 and all the Kb stories I keep hearing about. First off, it appears to be mostly in Glocks. Is this because of the unsupported chamber or simply because there are so many Glocks out there? Wouldn't all Glocks face this problem since they all have unsupported chambers? But, you say, the 40 is high pressure- no room for error in the casing. Yes, but the 10mm is higher pressure. Yes, but it has a stronger case. If so, can't they increase the case strength? Maybe use thicker metal such as in the 10mm? If it were only unsupported chambers I would think all Glockes would be Kb-ing... Anybody know why they don't beef up the shells? Regards, -Coop

WESHOOT2

Glocks have 'generous' chambers, designed for reliable chambering. The case is definitely unsupported.
40 cases are not going to get any thicker inside; has to be room for powder and to seat the bullet.

Then factor in KB's are NOT happening with fresh ammo (except in unbelievably rare cases) but with reloads/handloads/re-manufactured ammo, and the KB-pattern emerges.....insufficent case neck tension, which allows bullet set-back while feeding (KB in ANY gun), overworked and under-inspected cases that should be in the trash (remember 'unsupported') due to excessive stretch at the web area, firing lead bullets that cause lube build-up in the chamber, thereby not allowing the cartridge to seat fully, BUT allowing it to be fired, and maybe a couple more reasons why the 40 Glocks seem to be the bad actors.

Although I personally don't "like" Glocks, I believe they are excellent tools, as fine as any available. They just need the operator to pay attention.

I owned a M20, and if anyone could get a 10mm KB for 'normal' reasons it would be me, but the gun was flawless.

Slim

40 Smith and Wesson is not a high pressure cartridge. The Maximum Average Pressure (MAP) is the same as 9mm, 35,000 psi.

Slim, out.

P

PreserveFreedom

I have still yet to see any evidence of a Glock KB that happened with factory jacked ammo, as recommended by the manufacturer.