40S&W ammo?

JesseGDeluca

Just ordered a Glock 22, Gen 3 with OD frame. I am not a big user of .40 S&W, so I have a question on best self defense ammo. Which do you guys prefer...180 grain or 155-165 grain?

Shadow9mm

I have not had a 40 in several years now, but I rather preferred the 180s when I did. As far as ammo brand goes, I stick with Federal HST or Speer Gold Dots. Both are proven performers.

But that's just me. Lots of people use different stuff. You will probably get a million and 1 answers.

Last edited:

44caliberkid

“I stick with Federal HST or Speer Gold Dots” quote Shadow9mm
Agree, can’t go wrong with those. I’ve used a lot of Hornady American Gunner 180 gr. HP’s as well.

Cosmodragoon

I've been happy with 165. I feel like they offer the right balance of mass and velocity for .40 S&W.

Regarding the above post, I don't know where the idea of notorious under-penetration got started. This is actually the first I've heard that. I've never shot a person but from everything I've heard, they work just fine. Shooting varmints and "fun" targets like water jugs, fruit, etc.; they're fine. During tests on complex "meat targets" designed to simulate bad guys, they are fine. In the Lucky Gunner tests on specific ammo linked below, they are fine.

I sometimes encounter a largely superstitious idea that using "heavy for caliber" ammo is always better. That's not necessarily true. In general, I've had good experiences with mid-weight ammo such as 115-124 in 9mm, 125 in .357 Sig and .357 magnum, and 165 in .40 S&W.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#40SW

Shadow9mm

I've been happy with 165. I feel like they offer the right balance of mass and velocity for .40 S&W.

Regarding the above post, I don't know where the idea of notorious under-penetration got started. This is actually the first I've heard that. I've never shot a person but from everything I've heard, they work just fine. Shooting varmints and "fun" targets like water jugs, fruit, etc.; they're fine. During tests on complex "meat targets" designed to simulate bad guys, they are fine. In the Lucky Gunner tests on specific ammo linked below, they are fine.

I sometimes encounter a largely superstitious idea that using "heavy for caliber" ammo is always better. That's not necessarily true. In general, I've had good experiences with mid-weight ammo such as 115-124 in 9mm, 125 in .357 Sig and .357 magnum, and 165 in .40 S&W.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#40SW
I always considered. For 9mm, 115g to be light, 124g medium, and 147g to be heavy.

For 357 mag. 125s are light, 158s medium, and 180s heavy.

As a reloader I have found that I prefer medium to heavy bullets, depending on the cartridge. They just seem to be more efficient. But that's is just what I have seen. And it all comes down to personal preference.

Shadow9mm said:
But that's just me. Lots of people use different stuff. You will probably get a million and 1 answers.

That's where I stand with what defensive ammo is good for X gun.

Jesse, the best answer I can possibly provide is one you may not want to hear. I with there was. It's hard sometimes to convince newcomers TFL is a solid source of information regarding to the advancement of gun ownership and 2A rights when you get an answer such as this:

There is no way to provide an honest answer what is best for your firearm. I could post my findings using the exact same model firearm and it still would not determine the best defensive ammo for yours. If we were talking about reloading recipes for plinking at the range, that can be debatable. We're talking about ammo to use to preserve your life, though. Can we point you in the right direction? Sure.....somewhat. 20 years ago, there were limited options. These days, IMO, just about every major manufacturer provides high quality defensive ammo. As expensive at it is, I would start with one or two brands and buy a couple of boxes of each. Go to the range and test away. Any hiccups that had to do with your Glock not liking it and you can scratch it off your list. If they perform well, I would buy at least 3-4 more boxes to assure reliable function. 20 rounds doesn't cut it with me.

One last tidbit of info: 135, 155, 165, 180...does NOT matter. Hornady, Federal et al. have spent a helluva lot more time research and developing their defense loads to provide proper penetration/damage than any of us.

amd6547

The only reason I have a .40 is the cheap police surplus pistols pre-plandemic. Got a like new Gen4 G22 with night sights very cheap. The same wholesaler had police turn in 50rd boxes of 180gn HST, so I got some of those. Shoots great in my pistol, and have had no desire to try anything else.
That G22 and ammo combo quickly became my home defense set up of choice.

totaldla

I like the feel of fast (1200+ fps) 155gr better than the typical 1000fps 180gr. But that is just me with my M&P 4" barrel.
Unfortunately, it seems as though I'm in the extreme minority as most self-defense ammo is 180gr.

Shadow9mm

I have met very few modern production firearm that have problems feeding hollow points in general. It should be a given but yes you should always test your Intended carry ammo in your firearm to ensure reliability.

Nick_C_S

My free advice:

165 grainers for 40 S&W.

Save the 180s for 10mm Auto.

And of course, free advice is worth every penny you paid. :p

JustJake

My free advice:
165 grainers for 40 S&W.
Save the 180s for 10mm Auto.
Pretty much.

In real-world ammo, the .40S&W tops out at 180grns (@ 980fps-1000fps) unless you want a KABOOM! ... :eek:

... whereas the 10mm is just getting started at 180grns ——> 220grns, having been designed to send relatively heavy bullets fast: 180grns @ 1300+; 200grns @ 1250fps+; 220grns @ 1200fps+.

If you want a “speedy” .40 load that’s safe, stick with ammo topped with the 135grn, 150-155grn, and 165grn bullets.