4095 Powder.

Doodlebugger45

I have never heard of any powder called 4095. That doesn't mean much though because there's lots I don't know. I do know that some of the powders made and sold in Australia go by different names than the same stuff we have in the US.

Could it possibly be 4895 powder? That would make more sense in the .270.

rg1

Probably a typing error and probably meant 4895 powder. I've seen this error in some of my literature or on some site but don't remember where. I'd cross check some other sources before using the data for the mis-typed source.

Mal H

Staff
Mitchell - which company published "the manual"?

Like the others, I would bet that it is a misprint, but do not blindly make that assumption. What are some loads (powder weight/bullet type and weight) suggested by "the manual" for the mystery powder?

Just like the .30-06, the .270 is a modified .30-03 case. Having a smaller diameter, though, it has a smaller expansion ratio than the .30-06. As a result, powders good in the middle to heavy bullet bullet weight range in the '06 are generally good in the lighter to middle bullet weight range in the .270.

In general, powders like H4895 and IMR4895 and IMR4064, and Varget will run fill that low to middle weight range with good ballistic efficiency (around 27% for the .270's expansion ratio). From the middle to heavy end of the bullet weight range, IMR 4350, IMR 4831 and H4350 will get you a bit more velocity. I would put 130 grains as the weight dividing line, as that weight can work with either sets of powders.

You can get still higher velocities from still slower powders with compressed loads, but the ballistic efficiency goes down (you have to burn more powder weight per ft-lb of muzzle energy realized) and the recoil goes up.

mitchell koster

It was from an oldish Hornady manual. THe load i was thinking about starting off with was h4831 about 58grains to start with, with a 130 grain Sierra and Vmax projectile. Question. Do you have to trim the caseings everytime?

Thanks all.

MK

Mitchell,

Hornady doesn't make a 130 grain V-max (see selection, here). They do make a 110 grain V-max, but H4831 is a bit slow for that. It's a bit slower than IMR4831, which is the only version of 4831 I see listed in the Hornady #6 manual.

For the 130 grain Sierra, the powder choice is fine but 58 grains is too high to start. Sierra only lists H4831SC, but it should be close to H4831. They show 52.1 grains as a starting load. Hornady shows 56 grains as the starting load for H4831. They both use Winchester cases and primers. The difference might be the SC, but is more likely due to the gun used. I would take the lower starting number and work up from there. I've twice run into starting loads that were already at maximum for the gun I was using. It's unusual, but people who always start in the middle of the load range are asking for a problem somewhere down the road if they try enough combinations. As you can see from the difference in those two starting loads, you can't always trust any particular source of load information completely. I always check at least three sources and start with the lowest starting load.

For case trimming, the correct specification is 2.540" +0.000 -0.020". So 2.520" to 2.540" is the official SAAMI spec. It is OK to be shorter a little, but not OK to be bigger. A case neck stretches forward when a cartridge fires, and you don't want it to run into the end of the chamber neck before it lets go of the bullet, or dangerously high pressure can result. The chamber is designed with a little extra room beyond the maximum SAAMI spec to allow for that stretching. As long a case that has been resized and is ready to load is 2.540" or shorter, it will be safe to fire in a standard SAAMI specification commercial chamber.

Commercial brass is made so fast the trimming isn't as precise as a handloader's trimmers usually are, so they just aim for the middle of that length range, which is 2.530". You often see that middle number given as the trim length in commercial load manuals. But if you trim down close to the minimum, you will be able to reload the case more times before it comes out of the sizing die longer than 2.540".

Do note that resizing squeezes and lengthens a case slightly, so trimming is done after resizing, not before. The hotter the load the more the case neck will stretch forward with each shot.

Jim243

Darn Unclenick you had me worried, My favorite 270 didn't exist, well your right it doesn't it's a SST, I have to put those pistols aside (2 yrs now) and get back to the important stuff (rifles).

Thanks
Jim

IMG_1686.jpg