.405 win. Info Please

MP-44

I am reading the book "9 Maneaters And One Rogue". The author used the md 95 Win in .405 to kill tigers and an elephant. T.R used one to shoot lions when he went to africa. Does anyone know the ballistics of this catridge? Just curious. Thanks

C.R.Sam

Common loading was with 300gr jacketed bullet at around 1,700 fps. Stiffer loadings used in stoutish guns took the same bullet out to around 2,300 fps.

Great cartridge for close in larger game. I have shot rabbits to deer with it. Supposed to be a bit light for elephant but we didn't have much of an elephant problem anyway.

Sam

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Hard to find factory ammo for it.. Old western scrounger makes a 300 gr load for $70 per box of 20.:rolleyes:

Looks like you could also download and shoot cast bullets..

I always liked the 1895 Rifle, but wow is it expensive to shoot .405 wcf

I've fired a couple of shots of .405 out of a Winchester 95 rifle.

The rifle seems to be designed solely to MAXIMIZE the apparent recoil, and make it as painful as possible.

Too much stock drop.

Crescent shaped buttplate.

Very thin stock cross section at the butt.

Not a great experience.

Jeeper

I have a wildcat 375 that is based off the 405 win case. It is hard to find brass for but a cool round. It is about as long as a 375H&H. That was T.R. favorite gun in africa.

Redneck2

The newest "Rifle"

has a whole article. All you ever wanted to know. Six pages packed full 'o info. Have fun.