40 SUPER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodiac

Any thing new about .40 SUPER?

I was thinking about the .45 Super in a USP, and was wondering about the .40...

Is there .40 Super available? Or has this just been talk?

I am wanting the absolute HOTTEST .40 loads for my HK USP. (Not Handloads, I dont want to blow up my HK)

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

leapfrog

The highest muzzle velocity I have found in the 40, outside of some of the frangibles(magsafe,ect.)are the Triton rounds, either the 135 grain Quickshok or 135 grain JHP, both rated at 1325 fps from a 4" barrel. As far as the 40 Super goes - never heard of it. Most folks would say if you want something hotter than the loads mentioned above, you need a 10 MM.

Kodiac

Ah yes, the 10MM... Unfortunately HK does not make the USP in 10.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Cheapo

Yeah, .40 is already hot-rodded to close to the limits of the brass case as supported by typical barrels (even non-Glocks).

By contrast, the .45 ACP is a much lower-pressure round. Lotta room to boost the pressure/performance.

Maybe you could go 50,000 PSI with steel cases, but then you either sacrifice reloadability, or grind your dies down prematurely with the 4 or 5 re-loadings that *might* be possible before fatigue embrittles them.

How long can you load .40s in a USP and still have it function? Maybe you could develop a "short-loaded" 10mm for use in the USP. Just re-cut the chamber, get the throat you want and (maybe) PRESTO!

Is this thinking thing getting too dangerous yet?
Cheapo

------------------
Let us never forget that the only legitimate source of government power is the citizens. If WE cannot exercise a certain power, we cannot grant it to the state.

Kodiac

Hmmm... I will have to contact Triton later today and ask about .40 Supers...
I know the Quik-Shok seems to be the hottest thing going... but I am a greedy b@stard, and I want MORE.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Futo Inu

Kodiac, the ".40 Triton Super" is a .400 Corbon on roids; in other words, a .45 Super case necked to .40, with claimed vels of 1,700 in 135 gr. So, I imagine this round would produce even more pressure than a .45S/10mm (37,500 give or take), rather than the pressures of .45 acp/.400CB (in the low 20s). But does anyone know the pressure of a .400 Corbon? Doesn't the necked case make it a little higher than standard .45acp? (I read, for example, that .40s&w saami is 35,000, but .357sig is 40,000!) Still .400 CB is nowhere near 35,000 I'm guessing. Nevertheless, if this principle holds true, I imagine the .40 Triton Super must be 42,500+, but don't know.

For this cartridge, you need a really strong action such as would handle a .45 Super (HK USP .45 should work), and then neck to .40, and voila.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited June 11, 1999).]

Kodiac

Yeah, thats what I got from Triton...

Thanks guys...

It looks like the Quick-Shoks are the fasted available from a factory.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

ArizonaMorgan

futo, the 400 Cor-Bon is rated at 29,000psi. I seriously doubt that the .40 Triton is over 40,000psi. The only handgun cartridges I know of that surpass 40,000psi are the 9x23win, .356tsw, and .454casull. There might be others though. Most of the "hot" cartridges (9mm, .40S&W, .357mag, .44mag) are rated between 35,000psi and 40,000psi. The .357sig is 40,000psi, and I believe the current 10mms are at 37,500, but the first ones were loaded as hot as 44,000psi from what I've heard (I never was into the 10mm so never shot many of the original loads and certainly never chronographed or collected data on them). I believe that the .45super is in the low 30,000s but not sure about that.

WESHOOT2

Pressure is meaningless if you don't shoot too many. Screw SAAMI. Love my 10mm (and my 9, my 44, my 45, my 41AE, etc., etc., etc.....)

Futo Inu

AZMorgan:

OK, let's see. If .357sig is 14.29% more pressure than .40s&w (35,000 vs. 40,000 psi), and .400 CorBon is 31.82% more pressure than .45acp (29,000 vs. about 22,000 psi, IINM), that's an average (roughly) increase in pressure of 23.06% for a necked cartridge otherwise basically the same. If 45S pressure is low 30s (32,500 psi? - don't know), and if you apply the same percentage increase (obviously this is speculation), then the .40 Triton Super should be in the range of 39,995. Hmmm, almost exactly the same as .357sig and if so, then it's obviously not excessive pressure for a strong modern pistol.

This reminds me of a question I've had: If everyone is so concerned about kbs in .40 pistols, then shouldn't we all be even more concerned with kbs in 10mm (37,500) and .357sig (40,000). But you never hear of any kb warnings about these, do you? Aren't we talking about the same kinds of partially unsupported barrels, but with higher pressures? OK, maybe the 10mm brass is thicker than .40, but isn't the .357sig brass the same? If not - if .357sig brass is thicker, then wouldn't it be an unsafe practice to form .357sig brass from .40 cases, unless of course you're not loading full-house?

Of course, Weshoot's "Risky Business" attitude has its appeal, too.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited June 16, 1999).]

JR1

The .357 SIG barrels I've seen (Glock 33, SIG P229) are fully supported, but a lot of 40 barrels are only partially supported. Maybe that's why we don't hear about 357 SIG kBs....

Just my $.02

BrokenArrow

357 SIGs do kB. A guy on Glock-l had one do it w Fed factory ammo, and I have heard of others.

Glocks 357 SIG barrels are _not_ fully supported, but they are supported more than the 40. The USP/sigpro 40s are fully supported if you want to see the difference.

------------------
>>>>---->

HS

I don't know why We Shoot 2 didn't shamelessly give his Company a plug on your ammo question.

He will manufacture with new components ANY calibre + velocity that you want !

I've hotrodded the .40 S&W 165gr LRN to over 1300fps with no ill effects on brass or the gun.

Ask him real nice as to what he recommends is a safe load & order some !

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

WESHOOT2

HS, you causing trouble again? Besides, this guy really wants a 10mm, screw the 40.
Yeah, so I can get 1460fps with the 135's (that's in my guns, wonder what I can get from guinea pig customer gun? Hee, hee!), but muzzle blast is so fierce the BG will be bald, too.

ps trying to break 1800fps with 135's in the 10, 1500fps with 200's (no, not the 6")

HS

Me cause trouble? - nahhh...

Tim still didn't get the hint though, so go to his <a><a href="http:members.aol.com/WESHOOT2/index.html">Home Page</a> & put in your wish list !

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Status
Not open for further replies.