.40 suggestions......

joepa

Hello all. I'm in the market for a .40. It will be used for target shooting only and price isn't a great concern. I would like the gun to have adjustable sights, and a light, short trigger pull. I have a .45 and a 9mm in 1911 already (Kimber Gold Match and Springfield) so I'm looking for something a little different. But, I don't like the long trigger pull of the Glocks and similar guns.

So far I'm considering the Beretta 96 and the Browning Hi Power. Any opinions as to which one has a lighter, shorter trigger pull? And other other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

jrklaus

joepa, I haven't fired the 96, so I cannot comment on it one way oe the other, but I sure like a Hi-Power.

CarbineCaleb

Well, I chose the 96's twin brother, the 92, as my 9mm semiauto - very fine pistol. One other that I could recommend would be the Glock 35 - it's a fullsize .40, with actually a tad more barrel than the 96, but it's polymer construction makes it lighter nonetheless. Glock makes a very fine pistol too. The Beretta is prettier, and will shoot a bit more controlled, and have a better trigger. The Glock has simpler operation (no safety or decocker), and is still better than most of the semiauto pack.

I haven't shot the Hi-Power, but from what I have heard, it's very close to a 1911 - if that's true, I'd say get either the Beretta or Glock.

ATW525

The BHP will have a shorter trigger pull than the 96 in single action, but hi-power triggers tend to be heavy and gritty out of the box in my experience. Smooth, light triggers are possible with some work, but they're not what the BHP is known for.

Boo586

CZ-75 Standard IPSC or the CZ-75 Champion in 40 S&W. These are CZ's top of the line race/competition guns.

I have a stock 75B in 40 S&W and it is very accurate, a joy to shoot and the most comfortable gun that I have ever held. They are full-size guns very similar in weight to a 1911 and have pretty good triggers. Not comparable to a tuned 1911 trigger, but good none the less.

If I hadmoney to burn that is what I would get, or maybe a STI 1911 in 40 S&W or 10 mm.

Boo586

lcjones

I put the Sig 229 above the great 96 in comfort in the hand and quality trigger feel. Also, It is so easy to change barrels to 357 Sig and have a real powerhouse.

Jericho1911

Springfield Armory Xd-40 Tactical

I Want To Encourage You To Look Into The Springfield Armory Xd Service Or Tactical 40 Pistols. You Might Find Something Worth Keeping. Deadly Accurate, Fits Hand Like A Glove, Point Ability, And Yes Springfield Armory Speaks For Themselves.

npcolin

The Beretta 96 and Hi-Power are good choices, but I would go for a CZ 75 instead and buy more ammo with the money I save. :)

kgpcr

Xd All The Way

I would buy a Springfield Tactical. they are OUTSTANDING pistols. i own 3 of them and i love them all. I will own 6 as soon as they make one in the .45ACP instead of the GAP. They shoot really well and are a great handgun

Alaskanmonte

Browning Hi-power would be an good pick. Its single action like your 1911's, can be had with adjustable sights, and its a gun that was designed for most hands. Once you get a Hi-power there's no going back. They are a lot like rabbits, they tend to grow in numbers real fast. In fact I'm feeling the need for another very soon............. :)