.40 S&W

Big Yac

I recently came across a Glock in .40 S&W. I keep hearing about the unsupported chambers in the Glocks and have been kid of nervous about reloading this round. Can I purchase a new barrel that is fully supported so I can lessen the chance of a KB with the .40? If so, which brand is best? Which powders are good for this round? Power Pistol? Longshot? Which bullet weights, I'm not going to be hot rodding or anything with this round.

Miata Mike

Lone Wolf barrels for Glocks I understand are a good replacement barrel that is well supported. A search should turn up many threads to confirm my guess.

I personally have loaded my .40S&W with Unique powder and 155 grain Hornaday JHP bullets and shot from my Ruger P94.

overkill0084

The replacement barrel will do the trick.
I have run 165 and 180 gr plated and cast in my XD with no issues. I use AA#5 for my loads. It works quite well. I tend to stay away from the really fast powders in the .40 because I started getting paranoid about all the KB stories. Truthfully though, fast powders like Bullseye or 231 should be fine with an experienced reloader who is comfortable with the .40. I wouldn't recommend them for learning with, however. The .40 has a reputation for being touchy, it may or may not be deserved. When in doubt, I don't tempt fate.

Farmland

I will second the Lone Wolfe Barrel. Very well made and an easy drop in fit. I am old school and like 231 because it meters well in my progressive and can be used in all of my handgun calibers.

flyboyjake

if it is a new generation glock, I feel more than comfortable with the stock bbl. with a standard load they dont bulge at all. It takes quite a stiff load for me to identify a case bulge.

Big Yac

the Lone Wolf barrel looks like something I may do, better safe than sorry huh? Also, I wont be hot rodding this round, so I am sure everything should be fine. I still am looking at Power Pistol since I've been hearing that its a good powder for the .40 except for the flash but thats ok. I also hear 800X, Titewad and ever Green Dot are good. Any reccomended bullet weights for a low to mid range load in this gun, Glock 22 by the way.

Jim243

The lighter the bullet, the lighter the recoil (or so they say). Nosler 135 grain JHP in 40 S&W.

Jim