Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 180 grain

Votes: 62 54.4%
  • 200 grain or +

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

subhuman

I have moved to the 165 grainers, just seem nearly perfect for caliber to me, but thats just me, I was wondering how the rest of you run. If i cant find the 165s i will move down to the 155s but I'm reluctant to go up to the 180s, was not happy with them when i did shoot them. I would like too get your opinions and brands. Mine practice;WWB 165s, carry;hornady critical defense 165 FTX.

Last edited:

Jay24bal

My EDC is a compact 40 S&W, and in it I carry 180 grain Golden Sabers. However, for range ammo I roll my own and use Precision Delta 165 gr FMJ FN.

Sabrewolfe

For concealed carry, I use 180 grain Federal HST's, but my EDC is also a XD Service model. All the penetration tests I've seen using properly calibrated and chilled ballistic gel show the heavier bullets working better when fired from a standard 4-5" barrel. If I'm using a gun with a 3" barrel, I tend to lean more towards the lighter, faster rounds. Then again, also I lean toward 9mm for small guns over the .40 S&W.

Now, I do use 165 grain WWB FMJ's for practice, but that's only because I can't FIND 'em in 180.

Willie Lowman

I usually shoot 180 grain FMJ for target practice. I got a great deal on 4 boxes of 165 grain Gold Dots a year ago so that is my "stay out of my house" load.

Nick_C_S

180's are better suited (perfect, actually) for 10mm's.

165's seem seem to be the "balanced" weight for the 40 S&W's.

But IMO, if you can't get 165's, I'd move up to the 180's - not down to the 155's.

You must first make a hole. Error on the side of penetration. And the whole over-penetration argument is bunk anyway. Basic firearm safety rule #3: "Be certain of your target and what is behind it." If you're not sure of what's behind your target, you shouldn't take the shot - regardless of bullet weight. And if your are sure of what's behind your target, over-penetration won't matter.

Jim243

Well for HD/SD I use 230 grain hollow points (45 ACP). I won't leave home without it.

But since you are asking about 40 S&W, tried those 180's, 165's, 155's and all left me wanting something with a little less muzzle flip, Seems that most pistols made in that caliber are plastic guns that really in my opinion are too light to handle that caliber, so sold off all my 40 S&W guns.

But that left me a lot of excess 40 S&W rounds, I did find a use for them but in a 16.5 inch barrel. And they are one heck of a blast (pun intended), in this:

Hi-Point 4095TS

I now love the 40 S&W in 135 grain hollow points and they make one heck of a splash.

Recoil, what recoil now (none), but I find it inconvenient to put this gun on a outside or inside the wast band holster.

Jim

LockedBreech

For several years, I used the Speer Gold Dot 180-grain.

Currently, I am using the 165-grain Federal Premium HST.

The main concern with the 180-grain was bullet setback over time. I believe both the 180 and 165 to be extremely effective SD loads.

kcub

My EDC is a Walther PPS .40 I carry in a pocket holster with flush magazine. I carry Cor-Bon 150 grain jhp as it is just stupid accurate in that gun. I tried many. This gun recoils like a 9 yet throws bigger rocks. I love it.

I like Federal HST 180 in a car gun because it is a great barrier penetrator and subsequent performer. I also like Cor-Bon 135 all copper Barnes as this is a lot like a .357 125 grain bullet which has always been the gold standard.

Ruger45LC

Mostly 180gr really, usually in the form of a Federal HST, Gold Dot or Win PDX bonded, with a touch of Win Ranger T too, for carry purposes that is. I do like the 155-165gr class too, and many feel they're the best performers.

I'm not recoil sensitive, but the 180gr does shoot softer and is perfectly suited to the .40, in fact most .400" JHP bullets are designed with the .40 in mind anyhow so yeah, 180gr is fine in .40.

But really it's hard to find a bad .40 load really, they all do very well. I usually don't carry 135's, not because I don't like them, but because I want to make sure I have good penetration, which can be hit and miss with the light weight 135gr, seems the Noslers penetrate better than the Sierras. The 135's do make for a good option for dispatching various nuisance critters though, and loaded to around 1,500 fps in the G23 will do a number on them too.

I do shoot some of the heavier 200-220gr bullets too at times, but not real often. I have a good load that will shoot a 200gr WFNGC to over 1,150 from a G23 and makes for a superb woods/hunting load paired with the very easy to wear G23, good power and very good penetration from a rather small platform. Another good woods platform is the G35, able to rocket 180gr JHP bullets past 1300 fps with the right powders.

WESHOOT2

I have bullets for the 40 S&W ranging from 135g to 220g.

I prefer the 135s.......unless I intend to shoot a black bear or deer.

subhuman

looks like the 180s and 165s are the way of the .40 so far, but i truly expected the 165s to run away with this, I just like that extra speed and higher muzzle energy most of them have, of course the price is recoil and that slows you down on follow ups.

Jo6pak

I have tried all weights, and my CZ75 seems to shoot 165gr bullets consistently more accurately, so that's what I feed it.
I don't carry the CZ so it's usually shooting PMC or Blazer Brass 165 FMJs

Mystro

165 Critical Duty with 500+ ftlbs. This is my #1 nightstand gun/combo.

Sig3net.jpg

doofus47

I've been bouncing around between 155/165 self defense rounds. Mostly Hornady. I train with WWhitebox in 180.