40 s&w Reloaders?

Sixer

I'm currently getting set up to reload 40 S&W. Any suggestions on bullet weight to go with for paper punching? I also have a Lee Auto Disk powder measure, so any suggestions on a powder that will measure consistently would be great! Thanks

D. Manley

There are LOTS of good loads. I generally prefer the heavier 180 grain bullets for plinking and load them to Minor PF. My favorite two such loads are a 180 grain Rainier FP or Zero JHP over 3.5 grains Titegroup or 4.0 grains of Vihtavuori N-320 loaded to 1.130 OAL. These are extremely soft shooting and both provide excellent groups from my guns.

wilson133

I would recommend staying with bullets under 180 grain, the pressure can get a little flaky with the heavier bullets. My usual load is 5.3 grains of w231/hp38 behind the 170 grain swc.

Dragon55

After several combos using Bullseye powder(4.4 gr) only I've had the best accuracy at 25 yds using 200gr bullets using both JHP and FMJ.

I've been through most all available from 135gr through 200gr. My full frame... rather heavy PT100 seems to like the heavy bullets best.

However, as Wilson 133 sez .40 is touchy. Pay very close attention to OAL and go easy on the crimp. It is very easy to get an over pressure situation with .40 as you are already at the edge even with a 'mild' load.

Sounds like you may have Lee equipment. If you don't see a recipe listed in the tables with your equipment or in a manual... don't do it.

Don't mean to sound preachy just that a few folks on this particular forum have been very helpful with my education with reloading and have saved me some time and money..... and maybe even in jury.

RickV

In my M&P 40 I use:

Zero 165g FMJ Flat Nose
4.9G W231
Auto-Disk .46
OAL 1.135

This is a pretty stout load

Smogdude

+1 for AA#5, I started with this powder and it meters very well and burns clean. The first bullets I loaded were speer gold dot HPs, 180gn.. but have switched to Rainier copper plated HPs in 165gn, as they are way cheaper.

A suggestion if you're using the Lee auto disk.. get the update kit to the pro disk, it comes with the micrometer charge bar which has thrown extremely precise and consistent charges for me. It's well worth the price.

Last edited:
Any bullet from 155, 165, and 180gr works fine for me. For lower felt recoil, I like anything but 180. But that's just me. Powder selection is just as important for lower felt recoil as the weight of bullet given the same gun platform.

I've fallen in love with Hodgdon's products for the most part. HP38 (Win231) is my absolute favorite followed by HS6. Both of these meters very, very well and provides consistent burn.

Sarge

Tuttle8

Any bullet from 155, 165, and 180gr works fine for me. For lower felt recoil, I like anything but 180. But that's just me. Powder selection is just as important for lower felt recoil as the weight of bullet given the same gun platform.

I've fallen in love with Hodgdon's products for the most part. HP38 (Win231) is my absolute favorite followed by HS6. Both of these meters very, very well and provides consistent burn.

Couldn't agree more- especially the points I bold typed.

Three targets...

W231 & HS6 in the .45 Colt

W231 in the .40 S&W and yes, I did throw one shot off the edge of the envelope; maybe an inch and a half. It was a called flier, but the gun & load sure held their own despite my flub. Tuttle, you ought to give that one a try- recoil is next to nil.

wingman

For lower felt recoil, I like anything but 180. But that's just me. Powder selection is just as important for lower felt recoil as the weight of bullet given the same gun platform.

Strange how each one perceives recoil now I find the 180 grs with aa5
give me a similar recoil as the 45acp which I like, the lower weight bullets
in 40 tend to have (for me) a whipping motion left or right high velocity
loads especially 155 gr. I have never had problems loading 40 but I am
very carefully with consistent powder drops and OAL, set back in my opinion
is the big problems with 40sw and to be watched carefully..

oldscot3

My old 40 cal. Browning HP absolutely loves light bullets for target work. The best results so far have come from Nosler 135s and Blue Dot.

Sarge said:
and yes, I did throw one shot off the edge of the envelope; maybe an inch and a half. It was a called flier, but the gun & load sure held their own despite my flub. Tuttle, you ought to give that one a try- recoil is next to nil.

Is your 175gr a lead cast? If so, I'm game. I'm looking to buy a mold in that size and I'll have to try that. Recoil doesn't bother me until I hit the 2 hour mark or so. Then I'm glad I loaded down a bit for range purposes.

wingman said:
Strange how each one perceives recoil

You got that right. .40SW sure seems to be one of those cartridges that feels vastly different from one person to the next. And I also agree with OAL. With a cartridge operating at fairly high pressures, OAL needs to be closely inspected.

Sarge

Yep- they were some Lane SWC's I had leftover from my XD days.

This bullet from MO Bullet Co. pretty well mimics it in all respects and they are what I'll be loading next.

Shoney

Bullet weights from 135 - 200g can all be shot with great accuracy in the 40. You just have to find the right combination of powder and bullet.

There are so many good powders that work well in the 40, it is sometimes difficult to sort out the better ones from the beater ones. I have worked up loads with: 700X; 800X; SR4756; Unique; Red Dot; Power Pistol; WW231; AA5; AA7; Universal; Longshot; HS6; VV N350; VV N105.

FOR HUNTING/PD
For 135, if Power Pistol wasn't so "abusive" and have such high flash, it would do. However, HS6 gave the best acccuracy/velocity.

For 150, Longshot was the clear winner with accuracy load around 1300fps.

For 165, it was a tossup between Longshot and VVN350

For 180, If 800X wasn't so dirty at accuracy ranges, it would be my favorite for 165 and 180, but longshot gives equal accuracy and higher velocities with the 180 and is my choice there.

For 200, N105 shines with accuracy and velocity just under 1100fps.

For medium power targe/plinking loads in 150-180 I settled on Universal.

freakshow10mm

I load two loads for the 40 S&W, a 135gr Nosler JHP at 1425fps and a 180gr Berry's FP at 950fps. I use Longshot (aka Loudshot) for the 135gr and W231 for the 180gr.

Longshot is a reformulated HS7.

Steviewonder1

40 S&W Reloads

For my Glock 35 I use 4.8 GR of Unique behind a 200Gr Zero FMJ boolit. For my Para 16-40 with a Schumann Match Barrel inletted .10 inch, I use a 200GR FMJ behind a load of Universal Clays loaded to 10MM length OAL. Both make Major for IPSC and have a really nice recoil that is way lighter than Factory loaded ammo.

Sixer

Thanks for all the info guys!

Shoney, I'm interested to find out what kind of loads you worked up with Red Dot. I have an 8 pound tub of it that came with the reloading equipment I bought. I appreciate the info!

harry carey

in a 1911 with 14 lb recoil spring. 180 cast (valiant or Ga. arms and ammo) 3.7 red dot. 3.7 bullseye. 3.2 AA2 imp. I use winchester small rifle primers. I load them long 'cause I can with a 1911, less recoil. I grip hard, if you don't use a 12.5 lb spring. taper crimp.