40 S&W in 1911 ?

Hammer1

Saw a Kimber commander-size 1911 in 40 S&W yesterday.

Wonder how that would do for starting youngsters and ladies into shooting 1911 guns before stepping up to the 45 ?

Know that sometimes calibers other than the 45 don't work so well in the 1911. How well does this particular model -- 40 in the Kimber -- work ?

Have a 10mm Colt Delta Elite and it shoots fine, but wouldn't consider it a starter pistol especially with the 200-grain Norma loads.

Guess some would recommend a 9mm for a starter.

DMK

Wonder how that would do for starting youngsters and ladies into shooting 1911 guns before stepping up to the 45 ?
I'd love a 40S&W 1911, but definitely not for that reason.

I agree with 45reloader. Get a 1911 in your favorite caliber. Then get a 22LR upper for it to use for training and cheap practice.

I have a 9mm Star B (1911 copy, sort of). It's a fun little gun with much less recoil than a 45ACP 1911. But it would still be difficult to master for a newbie.

Kreyzhorse

I would think that the .40 would still be pretty snappy. A 9mm version is an option, but I think a 22lr conversion kit is really the best option for young shooters or novice shooters.

vox rationis

Who makes the best double stacked 1911 in .40? Para Ord makes those Jarrett inspired guns that look very attractive but I'm concerned about quality; STI and Infiniti makes high cap. .40 1911's but I believe that the high cap. versions have the steel/polymer hybrid frames that I am not interested in. Essentially I'd want an all steel high cap. .40 1911 with the refinements of a custom gun, but that can still qualify for IDPA or Limited class USPSA. I am not interested in a race gun, but something that can be equally at home in a duty holster as it can be for limited class competition. I'd rather get the extra quality of the STI/Infinity, but again I am not really interested in the hybrid steel/polymer frame. Anybody have any suggestions? Price is always a consideration, but I might be convinced to pay up to 2 grand or so if the gun is really that good (out of the box reliability and impeccable accuracy, superb fit and finish, durability etc).

....or should I be thinking of another gun, such as a SA CZ57B in .40 (much kinder price too)? I was thinking of the Sphinx but 3 grand is a bit too salty for my blood currently.
Thanks guys

WESHOOT2

in my 40's (I'm not, but nice turn of phrase, ay?)

I have a 5" 40 S&W 1911; I have a Witness CZ-clone I can and do make into a 40.

I also have a 5" 9mm 1911; I have two Witnesses in 9mm.

I suggest 9mm as lower-priced ammo, lighter recoil 'feel', and lower-priced ammo (did I mention lower priced ammo?) as best choice.

5" 1911, because making a 1911 shorter turns it into a 1908, or 1905, or something......

Joe D

I have a 9mm 5" Kimber. It is a great gun. One nice thing about 9mm Kimbers is they use the same breech face as .40. I fitted a .40 barrel to mine. OTOH why not just stick with a .45? I have some .45 loads that are softer shooting than a 9mm.

DaveInPA

Like has been stated before, recoil and muzzle rise are actually MORE pronounced in the .40 S&W than in the .45 ACP. The .45 is more of a "push", where the .40 has more of a "snap". Reduced recoil, therefore, is NOT a good reason to choose the .40 S&W over the .45 ACP.

freakshow10mm

I have a Kimber Pro Carry that started out life as a 40S&W. Recoil wasn't bad at all. Very controllable.

After I ran my last 100rds of 40S&W I had left from a few years back, I sent the barrel out for the chamber to be reamed to 10mm. Wonderful gun. Shot over 10K rounds of full power (200PF+) 10mm through it. Holds up just fine.

jrsaw27

Why 40 SW 1911?

Ive seen it soo many times, Why do you want a 40 Small and Weak when Mr. Browning made the 1911 specifically for th 45? you're stupid, etc, etc. I particularly like the 40 and the 45. i want a 1911 that is in a 40 SW so i can carry this rig on duty. i dont frank give a crap if its like buying a big rig and putting a small block in it! i am not carrying a 9mm, i cannot carry a 45, and i love the 1911 platform...that puts me here! wanting a 40 SW 1911 4in. the only thing i want more, is to be able to buy a hi cap, dubl stack for under a grand would be nice. I hope that clears up all the haters who are hatin' for all the wrong reasons.

larryh1108

I agree that the .40S&W has a harsher felt recoil than the .45ACP. That is my personal experience.

I have a .40S&W in the commander size and it functions flawlessly. It is fun to shoot and is balanced nicely. If you like the .40 caliber, find one, they are out there. If you want it for less recoil, don't buy it. However, if you learn to love the .40 and then go the the .45, the .45 will feel like a dream!

Llama40left444.jpg