.40 S&W dummy rounds in a 10mm Glock?

samsmix

Has anyone tried using 40 caliber dummy rounds in a 10mm Glock for training? Granted we're trying to induce a malfunction at this point, but doesn't work like dummy rounds normally do or does it cause additional problems?

agtman

Has anyone tried using 40 caliber dummy rounds in a 10mm Glock for training? Granted we're trying to induce a malfunction at this point, but doesn't work like dummy rounds normally do or does it cause additional problems?

Not sure if this answers your question, ... but years ago I bought a 50-rd bag of those blaze orange plastic 10mm "snap caps" from Brownell's for, like $10.00. They're spec-size 10mm cartridges. You can use them to practice all manner of dry-firing scenarios and malf-drills.

Given what I paid for them, if they get chewed up, stepped on, or wear out over time, ... who cares? I'll just throw them out and get more.

Ridgerunner665

I've seen that done as well. Is it hard on the extractor, as some have claimed?
In theory, yes... In practical use, extractors for Glocks are cheap and easy.

One thing for sure though, if you do use 40 in a 10mm, be sure to clean the chamber good before going back to 10mm.

The greatest danger with 40 in a 10mm is copper, lead and, powder fouling buildup at the front of the chamber which could cause 10mm to not fully chamber.... Glocks will fire slightly out of battery.

Last edited:

Deaf Smith

The greatest danger with 40 in a 10mm is copper, lead and, powder fouling buildup at the front of the chamber which could cause 10mm to not fully chamber.... Glocks will fire slightly out of battery.

Listen up folks, that sounds right to me!

Deaf

Hammerhead

Most chambers are on the deep side, and most 10mm brass is on the short side. Prolly quite a few 1911s that headspace on the extractor too.

Hammerhead

Then I bought a KKM conversion barrel to do it right.
G-291.jpg

Last edited: