40 s&w buffalo bore

Rick_A

Hey guys i picked up a box of 180 gr hp from cabelas the other day, they advertise 1100 fps which seems prettty hot to me.

I mainly got this load as a back up for when im in the woods but do you think as far as ccw? would i have to worry about over penetration? Has anyone shot this load before?

Also ive never herd of 40 s&w +p

thanks for any info

mete

There is NO SUCH THING AS .40 +P as they are not defined by SAMMI .They do load them hot ,I'd stick to other brands .They all work , though the 'low recoil' ones are not to good .Lots of good choices.I stick to premium bullets .

trex1310

You will discover that the BB .40S&W is pretty potent in a polymer
framed pistol. Doubletap ammo is also pretty hot. Personally, I like
Winchester Ranger 165gr jhp.

Don Glock

don't waste your money on obscenely overpriced 40cal +p offerings from BB. it performs no better than much cheaper offerings like HST or gold dot. the extra energy it imparts is meaningless, save for marketing purposes.

it is true, as another poster mentioned, there's no SAAMI specs for +p 40cal.

also, careful not to shoot it in a gun with an unsupported chamber--it will blow up. guy on 1911 blew up his EMP40 with that crap. (there's a warning on BB's site)

Rick_A

ill be shooting it out of my hk so on ill be fine with the chamber aspect of it.
also the stuff was on sale, same price if not cheaper than all the other premium brands.

btw i also really like the ranger t series too trex

Don Glock

^^yep, it'll be fine through an hk. As for price, you can get hst, gold dot, ranger for around $25/box of 50 rounds online. Sounds like you bought the BB locally.

THplanes

40 s&w buffalo bore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys i picked up a box of 180 gr hp from cabelas the other day, they advertise 1100 fps which seems prettty hot to me.

I mainly got this load as a back up for when im in the woods but do you think as far as ccw? would i have to worry about over penetration? Has anyone shot this load before?

I think you need to figure out which bullet is loaded in this particular ammo. If it's Montana Gold, all you have is essentially a FMJ.

AustinTX

There is NO SUCH THING AS .40 +P as they are not defined by SAMMI .

There is no such thing as SAAMI-specified .40 +P, but there is most certainly such a thing as .40 +P just as there is such a thing as 9mm +P+.

Buffalo Bore makes excellent products.

Buffalo Bore makes overrated crap when it comes to JHP rounds. Very hot ammo with terrible Montana Gold bullets. Their FMJ and hardcast rounds are much more interesting.

Rick_A

well i got them for $20 so i figured id give them a try and see what all the fuss was about.

is the Montana gold bullet the one they use for the jhp?

THplanes

well i got them for $20 so i figured id give them a try and see what all the fuss was about.

is the Montana gold bullet the one they use for the jhp?

Before the great ammo shortage BB used gold dots for HP loads, FMJ, and hard cast bullets for the rest of the line. Now they appear to use mostly montana gold in the standard HP line.

check this 10mm load, it uses the MG bullet.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=114

Gold dots are still not available, so I suspect some of the small companies are using whatever they can find. It's possible they could be using Nosler or Sierra that some companies use. The latter 2 are not bad bullets, but they are not the kind of premium bullet BB should be using for price they charge.

skoro

I have Buffalo Bore in 380, 38spl, 357mag, and 45acp. All are VERY good quality and performance. I don't own a .40s&w, but I'd wager that BB makes them as good as their other stuff.

So, what would the BB ammo do on impact? Being a target bullet means nothing to me, does it not expand, does it disintegrate, or what? Just curious...

Don Glock

So, what would the BB ammo do on impact? Being a target bullet means nothing to me, does it not expand, does it disintegrate, or what? Just curious...

Depends on the bullet. In the case of Montana Gold, little to no expansion and core/jacket separation.

RickE

Wow, seems to be little consensus here. When it comes to hunting large game (,44 mag) loads, only BB, Garrett, and Cor Bon are in contention. Federal has a lagging load as a honerable mention.