.40 s&w ammo fire sale prices

erikrichard

Just picked up 3950 .40 nearly all new fmj factory ammo in boxes, all brass cases for $600 off my local Armslist. At about .15/rd, it would cost me more in powder, primers and bullets to reload this ammo with free cases! I realize .40 has come out of favor, and that's a good thing because I see really cheap plinking in the future.

Last edited:

erikrichard

Yes, same seller, the ad was 3 days old. .40 demand/price is very low right now, but I think that will change when slow production catches up with the surplus that is out there. .40 is THE bargain caliber from what I'm seeing, just have to be patient and watch for deals.

Joe_Pike

Geez, I'd almost pick up a gun in .40 S&W if I could find ammo that cheap (especially with what may be coming).

erikrichard

When I bought my Glock 27 several years ago I also bought a 9mm conversion barrel to shoot cheaper ammo. Pretty cool that I'm finding .40 cheaper than the cheapest 9mm right now.

DubC-Hicks

How are you guys finding .40 that cheap? 9mm Perfecta is $9.78 here at Walmart. Federal aluminum is $9.97, and Federal Brass is $11.97. 9mm reman ammo online is $155/1000

Cheapest .40 I've been seeing is $13-14 a box for perfecta at Walmart.

lamarw

I reload and agree it would not be cost effective with new quality ammunition at 15 cents a round.

What do you mean by nearly all new? It sounds like some is new and some is otherwise. Who produced the new portion?

You got a very good deal if it is new. I assume it was a one time deal.

erikrichard

This was from watching Armslist over a few weeks for a deal from a private seller.

Magtech 180 gr - 17 boxes
Sellior Bellot 180 gr - 36 boxes
American Eagle 180 gr - 5 boxes
American Eagle 165 gr - 2 boxes
Blazer 180 gr - 8 boxes
PMC 165 gr - 2 boxes
Winchester White Box 180 gr - 1 box
Federal premium 180 gr - 2 boxes
Assorted reloads - 280 rounds

The reloads are factory reloads, 60 of them have XTP jhp bullets. Ammo came in 3 ammo cases, all for $600, I'm stoked about upcoming range time, I love shooting .40.

Ad: http://www.armslist.com/posts/6010409/denver-colorado-ammo-for-sale--4200-rounds-of--40-cal-s-w
I probably should have taken it all but I really didn't want to spend more than $600 so I offered that minus the 10 Winchester boxes and Remington green box. I still can't believe the ad lasted 3 days before I saw it, but that's the current market I guess. :)

Last edited:

Oysterboy

I bought five 250 packs of UMC 40sw 180 MC for $45 each at Walmart. I just sold 4 of them for $50 each to fund a guitar. I didn't want to sell them but the guitar came along at a price that cannot be ignored.

I'm sure you know what I mean when you run across a gun you cannot ignore. :cool:

rightside

Picked up a Beretta 96 police trade-in off GB for $325. Carried a lot and shot a little. There are some real bargains in .40 S&W right now. The herd has taken off for the ne plus ultra 9mm bandwagon again! But, but, the FBI said...:rolleyes:
Bull!
I ,for one, will enjoy the plethora of .40 cal. ammo and pistols that have suddenly become available for cheap. I love sheeple.

jglsprings

I ,for one, will enjoy the plethora of .40 cal. ammo and pistols that have suddenly become available for cheap. I love sheeple.

You got that right brother!

Got to move now before the typical post election panic sets in :eek:

I'm one of the contrarians that have always liked the 40, so there really aren't any weapon purchases I can see. But, if new ammo cheaper than I can reload comes along that buys me "time"!

Texas45

This is the reason I dont own a 9mm.
40'was plentiful during 08 scare and will remain so in the upcoming 16 scare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee n. field

I reload and agree it would not be cost effective with new quality ammunition at 15 cents a round.

That's true for everything I shoot.

(Last I looked, social purposes ammo all tended to be in the dollar per round range.)

Pukindog12

.40 S&W ammo may be cheap now but watch it skyrocket, along with other calibers, if a certain witch gets elected into the WH.

Fishbed77

This is the reason I dont own a 9mm.
40'was plentiful during 08 scare and will remain so in the upcoming 16 scare.

That's a pretty weak reason not to own a 9mm pistol.

That said, all the deals I see locally for police trade-in .40SW pistols makes picking up one pretty tempting.

Targa

Its actually a pretty good reason. .40s&w always seems to be on the shelves and at fairly reasonable prices. Add to that, really good deals pop up on firearms chambered in .40, they are fun to shoot and hit hard all of which make for an attractive choice. I still prefer 9mm but I have no plans to get rid of my .40 and I could kick myself for not buying a FNS .40 from CDNN when they were $359...:(

If I were to ever get rid of my M&P40 it would be to follow Oysterboys suggestion to get a 10mm.

erikrichard

"This is the reason I dont own a 9mm.
40'was plentiful during 08 scare and will remain so in the upcoming 16 scare."

I'm not sure on that. With very low demand right now due to the shift back to 9mm, .40 production will slow down a lot also. I see .40 becoming more like .380 compared to 9mm - more expensive because it's more rare. I could be wrong, but buying lots of .40 now could be a great investment - too bad for me bacause I plan to shoot it.