40 s&w 135gr loads

contender4040

Any opinions on the various 135gr loads as far as accuracy, performance, and realiability?
I am looking for a good load for the springfield xd.
Or can you direct me to a good site on this subject?

Spackler

Somebody who does a lot of ammo testing once told me that the 135gr .40 rounds are notorious for underpenetration, fragment early, and generally make a shallow and poor wound. They were, in his opinion, the worst choice available. He also commented that "if you want to carry a 9mm (referring to the smallish 135gr bullet), then carry a 9mm". Makes sense to me in that if you're carrying a .40, at least move up to a bigger bullet. Some of the 155 and 165 rounds are pretty hot, velocity wise, and test very well in gelatin. It's going to depend on the barrel length to some extent.
I went with the 180gr Speer Gold Dot, although I'd be equally comfortable with the 165gr Gold Dot. I tried some 135gr Federal PD, and while I don't have a chrono or gelatin, it didn't feel any hotter than some of the 9mm stuff, so really, what's the point?

355sigfan

135 grain loads are a tad on the shallow side but they are fine for civilian ccw and home defence uses. If you want 357 mag like performance get full power 155 and 165 grain loads. They do well. The INS selected a full power 155 grain load that gives about 500 foot pounds. A better option would be to get a 357 sig barrel however.
PAT

Malpaso

Personally, I have found 155gr to be the most accurate in both my Glocks and my Hi-Power. Remember, every gun, and every shooter is different.

CaesarI

135gr

While in the past I have been most skeptical about light weight loads performing well, new testing data (www.ammolab.com) reveals that light-weight bullets CAN yield adequate performance. There are many however that do not.

WESHOOT2's ammo has not yet been tested over at the ammolab. And I've never seen any testing results that showed a 135gr .40 to yield adequate penetration. However, as soon as WESHOOT2's ammo is tested I seem to recall promising to buy a box if it penetrated adequately in bare and denim covered gelatin.

Until then I'll advise heavier loads.

-Morgan

WESHOOT2

BACKWARDS WE GO FORWARDS..........

(Tried to e-mail you Caersar1)

Reread my previous post, check test, return with comments about adequate penetration from 135g ammo. Mine.

(I will not participate there until correct paperwork arrives from Ammolab.)

mec

did some testing when corbon was the only 135 available and hadn't yet gone to an especially designed bullet. Also re-clocked a few for reference after the origninal nosler bullet was replaced for the corbon round. Gun was a sig 229 . Contrary to most observations here, ours was extremely consistent and clocked just over 1300 fps. In wet medium, it expanded radically with the core going flat and the serrated jacket pettles flying away in little squares. Function was 100% and accuracy was in the sub 2"@25 yard range.

Corbon also loads this bullet in 10mm. The Motorcity Madman used this load to make an 80 yard shot on a warthog causing it to immediately expire.

MK11

Massad Ayoob reported that one of the first documented shootings with this round took place in Southern California where a cop shot a charging suspect in the lower torso. Dropped him quickly and permanently, even though the wound normally wouldn't have been fatal, according to Ayoob.

Zander

Cor-Bon has been very reliable for me, too...

The Cor-Bon 135g load is the most accurate of seven that I have tried in my P229.

The 155g and 165g loads are a little different on POI, but still very accurate.

asleepinTucson

I carry a 135 hydrashok in my 9 and a 155 silvertip in my 40

Don't read most of the ballistic stuff, just ask my LEO friends what their rangemasters are recommending.

CaesarI

Addresses

I'd apparently forgot to update my address. AltaVista decided to kill their e-mail service, and I'd been working on sending mail over to the new address. I've updated the profile, e-mail should work now.

I've read those tests before, and will await further testing. And I understand waiting for paperwork to be filed. David mentions waiting for mail to get there/get back every time I pester him about testing your ammo.

I remain skeptical as high-speed light-weight loads have a history of not getting adequate penetration.

-Morgan