40 reloads range report

Huskerguy

I posted a short time ago asking for some help on some loads for 40 S&W. Between that and my books I got enough information to put some test loads together and this is what I ended up with. Feel free to comment (be nice though). :D

I really screwed up and forgot to use the chrono at the range. So there is no way to know if I was comparing apples to apples - FPS I suppose would be the only constant if I could determine that.

All were shot in my XDM off of a rest at 25 feet. Targets were official 50 foot, 3 inch black. Ten shots each load. My sights are consistently left of center slightly and I do have older eyes.:eek: I do not claim to be an expert reloader or marksman - just trying to have some fun and enjoy the hobby and get better.

Titegroup
3.5 Grains, 180 Grain LFP
Very light recoil - much less than Winchester factory ammo I shot to warm up
One big hole from seven shots upper left of center in black - only three outside the black in second ring

Titegroup
4.2 Grains, 180 Grain Berry's HP
Little more recoil but still very manageable - still much less than factory
Eight solid individual holes from center to left edge in black, one touching, one outside in second ring

HS-6
6.5 Grains, 180 Grain LFP
More recoil than the TG but still less than factory ammo - very manageable
Nine of ten in the black - all left side with one dead center. The one outside was inside the second ring.

HS-6
6.9 Grains, 180 Grain Berry's HP
Obviously higher yet on the recoil - but still not bad
Nine of ten in the black with the one less than a 1/16" from the black. All to the left of center up and down evenly. On to something here

Red Dot
4.0 Grains, 180 Grain LFP
Recoil was light - still not quite as nice as TG but close
Almost one big hole just left of center with five shots, two on outer black, two in second ring and one in third.

Red Dot
4.5 Grains, 180 Grain Berry's HP
Recoil good
This one was interesting. Two groups of two in the black just off the BE, one nearly in center, the other low and right. Two in second ring two in third.

My conclusion is that it is hard to compare powders to powders if I don't have some chrono numbers to get them all evened out. I shot the Red Dot loads last so I may have been getting a bit tired. Kind of a toss up between TG and HS-6 with HS-6 getting a slight nod in my tests. I think I might try a little less HS-6 and see what happens. Overall, I was very pleased with these reloads, my first for the 40. I am trying different powders as some on here have suggested but so far I am finding TG pretty hard to beat consistently for a variety of loads.

That'll Do

I have yet to use TiteGroup in my 40 S&W loads, but I have used HS-6. In my opinion, HS-6 is one of the best powders for 40 S&W.

Glad to hear your load testing went smoothly.

serf 'rett

Interesting report. I'm also just starting to reload - 9mm and 40S&W. For 40S&W, will be working with 165 gr. and 180 gr. Berry's FN, but will be trying different powders. Just shot some test loads this weekend, 180 gr. bullets, VV N340 and Power Pistol powders. Was thinking about trying Titegroup since it was available locally.

I’m interested in accuracy so I loaded, starting at minimum and working up to maximum in incremental steps of 0.2 grains, 7 rounds for each step. Still need to fully analyze the results for the best groups, but will note that there was a visible difference between the varying powder charges.

What was your cartridge OAL?

One other note; my Springfield 9mm XDm groups to the left and above the point of aim, so it may not be your age or marksmanship.

Huskerguy

serf 'rett - I loaded my 3.5 Grain, Titegroup, 180 Grain Lead Bullets at 1.135 OAL and had no problems. Everything else was loaded at 1.125.

I have used Titegroup in 9mm, 38/357/ and 40 with both lead and copper bullets and various weights in 9mm. I know everyone has said there are better powders than TG and there may very well be for each caliber. HS-6 is a very good powder but overall, I can get TG to group very well with all these different calibers and it is a good powder to work with. It doesn't take much of it and this has been pointed out as a potential problem.

I will likely give Power Pistol a try one of these days. As soon as I get this load figured out I will try HS-6 in 9mm, several people have told me it is a very good powder for the 9.

I just loaded 20 more rounds last night with HS-6 only. I loaded my lead bullets at 5.7 grains and Berry's at 6.1. I am anxious to see how they group, feel and cycle. One thing I have found is that load numbers for HS-6 are all over the place.

Best of luck - keep me posted on your success

larryf1952

I will likely give Power Pistol a try one of these days. As soon as I get this load figured out I will try HS-6 in 9mm, several people have told me it is a very good powder for the 9.
HS6 was the first powder that I used for 9mm, and that dates all the way back to 1976. I've stuck with it because it's an excellent powder for both the 9 and the .40.

Power Pistol, Accurate #5 and WSF are also great powders in these calibers, and I use all of them regularly.