40 or 45

oldreloader

I'm getting ready to buy another pistol, probably a S&W M&P. I'm trying to decige between the 40 and the 45. which is the best to reload for? Any pros and cons would help me decide.Thanks

Miata Mike

I personally like the recoil of the .45acp better... from one old dude to another. ;) I think .45acp is more forgiving in reloads.

tom234

.40 S&W will be a little cheaper to reload based solely on physical size. I like reloading .45 ACP because the components are larger and easier to pick up.

Sarge

I have loaded them both extensively and I don't find one more troublesome than the other. One of the benefits of reloading is that you can set any power level you want, within safe limits of course. I run the .40 at about 850 fps with 170 grain bullets and there is no way such a load generates more recoil than 200-230 grain bullets, at the same velocity.

The weight & grip characteristics of the gun, however, can have an effect on perceived recoil.

That'll Do

I reload for both calibers, and while I like them both, I'd choose the 45 ACP. I find the sheer number of bullet types outnumbers what is available for 40 S&W.

farmerboy

everyone has their own opinion about everything and as far as the question goes, My personal choice would be to get a 40. Faster, flatter and the energy is as much and more on alot of different rounds when compared. also less powder and less recoil due to lighter bullets. And not to mention when carrying you can tote more fire power in almost all mags due to smaller bullet diameters. But you're gonna get so many opinions on this question just like Ford or Chevy and all will have good and bad its when its said and done you need to make the final decision and for your own prefences and certain needs. I believe as it stands the 45 is on top. I will check back time to time to see who comes out on top but my choice will not be swayed.

Sevens

Holy cow! F-I-V-E posts and nobody has drilled it.
The question was specifically:
which is the best to reload for?
This is a softball question, no-brainer.
You can make a hundred arguments about what is fun, what is good for carry, what is good for shooting, what it _________, on & on.

The question is, which is best to reload for?

It's .45 Auto. If the question is between .40 S&W and .45 Auto, it's .45 Auto, it's not even a race. It's not close and it never will be.

The .40 cal is a high pressure round with a scattered history of catastrophic failure. It's avoidable, of course, but it's a 35k PSI max round that's typically chambered in a pistol that was specifically built around a .355" round. Most .40 pistols were designed from the ground up as 9mm's.

The .45 Auto runs 21,000 PSI and the brass lasts forever, to the point where you actually wear the headstamp off them.

It looks like a closer race if you do pros and cons... but if you simply ask which is better to reload for, it's .45, .45, .45.

Cons for .45 compared to .40 cal:
--Used brass for .40 cal is cheaper because the stuff is everywhere. .40 brass is only bested by 9mm in center fire cheapness in cost.

--bullets are a bit lighter so if you figure bullet cost by the amount of lead/copper, .40 slugs can be cheaper.

I can't offhand think of any other reasons to even mention .40 cal at the load bench as a choice over .45.

.45 is a moderate pressure round. Much, much less chance of catastrophic failure, especially for the infamous "lack of case support" that follows the .40 cal every where it goes. The .40 S&W gets is own personalize preface in many load books about "high pressure" and "case support" and "be careful."

The "pros" for .45 are as long as almost any chambering you can list.

scsov509

You can make a hundred arguments about what is fun, what is good for carry, what is good for shooting, what it _________, on & on. The question is, which is best to reload for?

Yeah, it's a no-brainer that the .45 is better to reload hands down. Less concern about brass issues like you need to watch for in the .40 since .45 is low pressure, and you're really more likely to lose .45 brass than have it wear out. There's also a lot more load data for .45 available, and you can pretty much load it with any pistol powder on the market. I load and shoot lots of both, but from a sheer loading standpoint I much prefer the .45.

Sarge

The .40's 'brass issues' are of utterly no concern if you

a) toss any obviously pot-belly brass, and
b) load it like you've got some sense

like to, say .45 ACP velocities, with 50 grain lighter bullets.

Nevmavrick

The reason the .40 exists is that it has as much power as the .45, and the magazine capacity of the 9mm. If those aren't important to you, then make your decision based on what IS important.
I shoot action pistol, IDPA, and Steel, so I have a use for the .40, eventhough I use an M1911 .45, much of the time.
Most .40s are enlarged 9mms, as the pressure is higher, and they work just fine. An idiot can get a KB with whatever they use. An auto-pistol just needs to work EVERY TIME!! If you need to magnumize...get a revolver!
Everybody knows...if you have a mechanic do your work, Chevy or Ford are the same. If you are going racing...Ford is superior! (You KNEW that was coming! lol)
Have fun,
Gene

Dragon55

I reload both

As was said above.......

A few more options with .45.... Heck it's 100+ years old. Much more free brass with .40 ... especially if you go to my range after 10:00 am on Tuesdays(after the LE practice).

Sarge

Like Eagle0711 said, you don't hear of as many .45acp Kabooms like you do .40 S&W.

I would be remiss if I did not point out here, that KaBooms with the .40 S&W have been limited mostly to Glocks, and early ones at that. Speculation on the causes for that would fill a thousand, quickly-locked threads an no, I'm not interested in arguing about it.

The simple fact is this- loaded to equal pressures, the .40 S&W and .45 ACP will produce similar internal and external ballistics, with bullet weights appropriate to each caliber of course.

A headstamp of '40 S&W' has never caused a single gun to explode.

farmerboy

Like I said earlier, This post turned out to be more of an amusement than anything else. And if you're gonna load to steer clear of KB's you should stick with a cork gun or bb gun. I still stick with the Fords, I mean the 40! :D

chasep255

I load both. I have found that I save a lot more money loading 45 than 40. Also 45 is a bit bigger which makes things easier.

GWS

If you love shooting semi-auto pistols like I do......would you really want to limit the fun to just one? My first choice is .45 ACP, I admit. Though, the .40 S&W is my second choice, I have two .40 cal pistols, a Kahr CW40 and a new Ruger SR40 and only one .45! The .40's compliment my single .45, a Kimber Stainless, perfectly. When I go to the range to shoot (reloads of course), I wouldn't think of leaving any one of them home.:D

I conceal-carry the .40's, and the Kimber is my Home defense weapon. Which one is more fun to reload? Is there a difference? Not in my experience, unless you shoot older Glocks which have unsupported chambers. (The new models, BTW, are much better in that regard).

One more thing...I don't try to work up hot loads for my pistols....nor do I skydive or bungee jump. Extreme sports are for those with death wishes, IMO, and I'm not about to turn my easy going pistol shooting sport into one. Normal published safe loads using good self defense bullets, I'm assured by experts, do the job of self defense just fine. The only adrenalin I'm willing to pump is that needed to protect my family. At the shooting range, I'm into just having some easy-going adrenalin free....fun. .40's and .45's.....don't leave home without them!:D

Jim243

it's hard to hold those .224's for the 223.

Just got through loading some and I had to laugh, you are correct, my fingers are just too big, you need small hands to load .223.

But back to the question, Sevens is right 45 ACP is easier to load for.

Jim

Shootest

The 45ACP is easier to reload for and is one of the most accurate pistol cartridges available. As it has been for over 100 years. The 40S&W is an attempt to get 45ACP ballistics and 9mm magazine capacity out of the same pistol. But it falls just a little short at both. You will rarely hear of a 45 KB even with the same idiots loading it. And BTW Chevy has beat Ford out of the last 7 NASCAR championships in a row. Let’s just let the records speak for themselves.