.40 is assuming an intersting and unexpected role IMHO.

Will Beararms

The difference in cost in bulk quantity between 9mm and .40 is not that pronounced-----maybe $50 more per thousand in my recent experiences. I am not sure why this is the case perhaps its due to the large Government contracts that could be creating excess supply of .40 while it seems to continue to decrease or at least i think it is decreasing in popularity among civies.

While i am not in love with the .40, it is a nice platform to keep at your ranch or cabin for an all purpose handgun. It doesn't cost an arm or leg to keep a couple of thousand rounds of 180 fmj around that will do pretty much anything you need done on a farm. I am surpised that in many cases, there is almost no difference in cost between 9mm and .40 but I am not complaining. So while gun writers continue to tell us there's no need for the .40 in self defense and LEO applications with the advent of modern, advanced 9mm +P offerings, good ole' 180 grain fmj is a relatively low pressure, controllable .40 load that can serve as a great do-it-all chambering at an affordable price point. Lest we forget also that anytime there is a run on the firearms market, there always seems to be some sort of .40 S&W ammo on the shelf when everything else is gone. I say it pays to have at least one 10mm short in your inventory.

Last edited:

Sevens

Your overall point seems quite valid to me but the little snippet where you call a 180gr .40 S&W load "...a nice low pressure round" is way out in left field.

It is a very high pressure round, same as 9mm and .357 Magnum, a mere bit behind 10mm. Pressure wise, it's pretty much full bore for a handgun and it acts like it in noise and snap.

It's a great utility round -- trails the 9mm only in capacity and the ability to put rounds on target with speed. But there's no proper .40 S&W that is tame, toned down, light or amusing. It is a harsh, high pressure round.

Will Beararms

Low pressure relative to other .40 loadings would have been better verbiage----around 980 psi.

.40 is not an ideal choice maybe but a serious of events make it cost effective for what it is.

mete

Low pressure , high pressure ? Standard 9mm or 9mm+P, or 9mm+P+ ? That will make a difference .
The 40 S&W will still be effective unless you use "reduced recoil " ammo.

Mobuck

"that will do pretty much anything you need done on a farm."

This comment is counter to my experience. Neither the 9mm or 40 is accurate enough for the small stuff or powerful enough for the big stuff.
A GOOD 38/357 would be a better choice. 40 S&W is an obnoxious dog with far more bark than bite IMHO.

CDW4ME

40 offers a capacity and diameter compromise between 9mm and 45, just as it always has (since about 1992).
IMO it is a good compromise typically giving up one or two rounds to a similar 9mm (Glock 26/27 or 19/23) and a bullet diameter that starts with a 4.
Those that think a 9mm will work "just as well" pick 9mm.
Those that want maximum diameter pick 45.
I've carried them all, my preferences have changed over time and are still malleable.

Will Beararms

Know of several whitetail deer taken with .40 in areas where it is allowed to take a deer with a center fire handgun of at least .40 caliber having a barrel over 4".

jmohme

I know that 40 S&W is a high pressure round and has a reputation of being harsh, but I have both a g19 and a g22 and really don't feel a lot of difference between them even when firing 180gr HPs in the 40.

mavracer

I had always felt that the 40 was a question I never asked. But the very attributes you point out swayed me to buy myself one. I really think a duty size .40 does make a very good defensive choice but It won't supplant my 9mms or 45s.

Brotherbadger

The 40 is a fine caliber, but it's not where near as common as 9mm or 45 acp on the shelves of my area. If I didn't already have a 9mm, I'd consider it.

jmr40

It fills a role for me. Basically with the best loads and 180-200 gr bullets it'll match 357 mag from 4" barrels. Even the best 10mm loads will basically match 357 mag from 6" barrels. The difference isn't as great as a lot think. I own a G20 in 10mm, loaded with 200 gr bullets at 1300 fps it is pretty awesome. But the much more compact G23 loaded with 200 gr bullets at 1100 fps will still do most of what I need a handgun to do.

For the most part I think 9mm is adequate for human threats, at least most of the time. The 10mm and 40 S&W were developed after some failures of 9mm and 45 to stop some rather large suspects who where high on drugs. Having much heavier, larger diameter bullets than 9mm, combined with much better penetration and mag capacity of 45 made either a better option for this. I don't see the 40 as a compromise at all. I see it as better than either in most ways. Recoil and cost are still factors, but they can be overcome.

There is a difference between stopping a 110 lb meth head and a 6'6", 275 lb weightlifter high on cocaine. If forced to use deadly force on the big guy the advantages of the 40 or 10mm become apparent. I don't oppose the trend of LE to go to 9mm. But feel it is only a matter of time before someone runs into something like this and heats up the 9mm vs 40 argument again.

MarkCO

A nice 10mm Revolver gets you even more benefit in that it can shoot .40S&W and 10mm. :D

I will keep my .40S&W Glocks, but I rarely shoot them.

COSteve

SAAMI Pressures for 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10mm.

9mm: 35,000psi
9mm+p: 38,500psi
9mm+P+: 40,000psi

40s&w: 35,000psi
(there is no +P 40s&w)

10mm: 37,500psi
(there is no +P 10mm)

Compared to both the 40s&w and 10mm, it's the 9mm+P and 9mm+P+ which are the 'High Pressure' rounds.

BigJimP

The .40 S&W is an in between caliber for me ( vs 9mm, .45 acp ...or .357 Mag )....but it has its niche balistically ......and for fun.

In terms of reloading cost...( and I reload them all ) - the cost of bullets is making up 70- 80% of the cost of a finished box of ammo depending on which weight bullet you use :

9mm ( 115 gr FMJ bullet ) is $ 0.09 ea --- 50 rds in a box $ 6.62
.40 S&W ( 165 gr FMJ bullet ) is $0.13 ea -- $ 8.85 for a box...(.357 mag is about the same ) for a 185 gr JSP bullet...
.45 acp ( 230gr FMJ bullet ) is $ 0.19 ea -- $ 11.48 for a box...

so while I like shooting all 3 calibers...a lot of my practice is with the 9mm...( shoot almost twice as much as .45 acp ).

I like shooting .40 S&W because I have some unique platforms in .40 S&W ( like a Sig X-Five L-1 model )...
---------------
and because I reload, the availability of retail ammo is of no concern to me.