.40 Choices

Nightcrawler

Okay, I might buy a .40 pistol to get me started in June. Plenty of power, but fits into smaller guns. Good combo.

Okay, help me decide here.

The three I've been looking at are as follows (the prices are listed prices at my local dealer):

Spingfield XD40

Pros: I like the gun, it fits my hand well, points naturally. Good human engineering, completely ambidextrious for my left-handedness, and SWAT gave it a good review. It's also compact enough for CCW.

Cons: Costs the most of the three choices.

Price: $455

Ruger P94 .40

Pros: Completely ambidextrious controls, Rugers have a solid reputation, 11 round factory preban magazines available for not much more than factory 10 round ones.

Cons: Bit heavier than my other choices, if I'm not mistaken, but it's not a big deal.

Price: $375 or so.

CZ 40B

Pros: Design fits my hand like it was made for me. Good sights, CZ has a good name. Low cost.

Cons: The safety lever is not ambidextrious, and CZUSA emailed me and told me no add on to make it ambi is available. Thus the locked & cocked carry option is useless to me.

Price: $350 or so

Well? Opinions? Any other ideas? The Glock 22 and 23 don't fit my hand, so I've ruled them out. The Sig 226 is kinda pricey and I do NOT like the position of the decocker or the slide release. I'm not going to buy a non-.45 HK.

blades67

Get the one that best fits your hands. The choices you listed are all good quality, so it really is just a matter of which you prefer.

Mannlicher

of the three you mentioned, the Ruger would be my choice. I like a 4th choice though, and my .40 carry gun is a Browning HP.

KPS

How bout a Walther P-99 in .40cal? Fairly lightweight and plenty concealable.Cost is about $500 or less and they're starting to become a bit more popular since their big price reduction.Did I also mention the comfortable grip and the ease of adding night sights all by yourself?

Shoney

Nightcrawler:

You would be much better served. if you shoot each of these weapons, then decide.

Shoney

ryucasta

Heres a blurb from Gun Tests magazine the consumer reports of firearms. http://www.gun-tests.com

9mm Pistols: Ruger, HK, and Springfield Armory Shoot It Out
We think Ruger’s $453 “K” gun takes the P-series pistol another step forward, but HK’s $699 USP and Springfield Armory’s new $489 XD pistol offer more successful combinations of features.

The 9mms tested utilize safety elements such
as the HK USP 9's cocked-and-locked carry.

It seems like only yesterday that high-capacity 9mm pistols (owing to their European influences) were being referred to as wunderkind and the 1911-style pistol was being shoved aside. But new machining techniques have brought the Browning design back to prominence, even as “hybrid” Traditional Double Action (TDA) pistols and the polymer striker-fired pistols continue to evolve.

At the source of the polymer guns’ development is the desire to make the guns easier to fire but still offer additional safety features. Of course, cocked-and-locked carry of the 1911 already offers this: two mechanical safeties that must be disengaged for the gun to fire with a nice single-action squee...

Blue Duck357

Out of the choices given I'd also go with the Ruger. But frankly, I doubt I'll ever buy another .40 again.

I like 9mm for cheap practice, and controlability/reasonable recoil in small guns. I'm not going to say you can't buy a .40 thats a tack driver as I'm sure someone has one, but it does seem that .40's have more accuracy issues than other calibers.

If I need more power and I'm going to spend bigger bucks for ammo I figure I might as well go to the .45 (especially with the ban making hi-caps so expensive anyway).

JMHO, but I think you'll notice a lot of people around here have come to the same conclusion.

Elvis

Nightcrawler,

I might suggest saving just a little while longer and look at the Sig P229. If this gun is not for you then revert to one of your three original choices.

All my best,
E

vyper005

Out of all your choices I would pick the Springfield XD...All of the reviews on the gun have been excellent...A real bang for the buck type gun...plus you can mount a Tactical light on it...

I never really liked the Rugers cause they seem like they just took big slabs of metal & stuck the pieces together...kinda chunky...I've shot a Ruger .45cal(P ??) in the past..no problems & no recoil whatsoever...I never shot a CZ but checked them out a couple of time in the past...The triggers didnt seem that smooth...

If the gun doesnt have to be new I would check out an older Glock 22 or 23...the smooth grip may fit your hand real well...Why not check out an HK USPc in 40 ?? They are sweet !! :)

Pointblank2K

I LOVE my Ruger P94 .40cal! out of all the handguns i've owned in my life it's my all time favorite...not the most expensive...not the prettiest...but it shoots extremely accurate...NEVER jams no matter what kind of ammo I use...it's the one that stays loaded next to the bed (no kids yet) and I trust my life to it. The longer I own it the less "clunky" it becomes:D
Tony.

Navy joe

Of your choices I'd pick the XD except for the fact that it is absolutely criminal that they bought the HS2000 design and promptly doubled the price.

The Glocks don't fit your hand? Ever seen what some Glock smiths do, cut the back of the grip off and refill the area solid with polymer to whatever shape and then stipple the whole thing. I saw a nice one and nearly peed myself with envy, and this coming from a steel pistol kinda guy.

Ever considered the K40 or MK40? You wouldn't regret it, nice carry pieces.

Kevinch

Nightcrawler - would you consider another choice & look at the TAURUS PT940?

The price should be right around that of the CZ.

It's a lot lighter than the Ruger - about 26 ounces or so.

The controls are ambidextrious as the Springfield, and the safety can be used to either carry cocked-&-locked, hammer down/safety off, or hammer down/safety on.

The barrel length is 3.75", compact enough for CCW use.

Mine is very accurate, and reliable feeds anything I have chosen to fit into the magazine.

You might want to handle one before you decide.

sundance43.5

I don't see why you'd buy the XD which only has 10 round mags. Go with the Ruger or the CZ. Although, that's after the HK .40.

Really, the HK is head and shoulders above the others. I don't understand why you don't want it since it can be had for lefties.

Ruger's and CZ's are also stone reliable and will feed pretty much anything you put through it.

I am going to reiterate, GET THE HK. It's user friendly, and because of the recoil system in it, there's relatively no recoil at all. I shot the HK and a Glock 23 compensated model. You know what, the HK had less recoil than the compensated Glock. AND, you can still get 13rnd mags for the HK for about $65.

Chris

FlyinGN

Have you also looked at a Kahr K40? Mine is dead nuts accurate and 100% reliable... Built like a tank.. Smaller then most other .40's also..

Zundfolge

I was also going to suggest the Kahr K40 (only downside is magazine capacity is less then 10)

I'll also have to insert my obligatory Steyr M40 recommendation here too :)

Malpaso

I like a 4th choice though, and my .40 carry gun is a Browning HP.

I concur. When I can carry a large frame, that's what I carry. I've also competed in and won pin/plate matches with it. It also has an ambi safety, so cocked and locked becomes an option.