40 carbine

MDman

I really like the 30 carbine round, and have allot of fun with it at the range. But I was thinking wouldn’t it be cool if we maintained the OACL but increased the bore to .40? this would be like a magnum 10mm, or .40 carbine . I just really like the idea and am wondering if there is any cartridge like this. any one else think this is cool?

Trapper L

Might take a look at the 351 Self Loading or the 401 Self Loading Winchester. Neither are a cheap date for ammo now-a-days. I have contemplated both for quite a while now. My first centerfire was a 351 SL and as a kid I remember it kicking like a mule. The 401 was used a lot by the prison systems and sometimes they come available as such. The 401 was the most powerful of the Self Loading line of cartridges.

the rifles were made by Winchester, the .401 was a magazine type, 20 rd mags were available, IIRC Frank Hamer used on Bonnie and Clyde stakeout.
from what I can see the .50 Beowulf is the .30 carbine blown up to .50. IIRC some co. is making 10 mm carbines which is what you look for but don't know which co. it is.

FM12

Ruger made a carbine in .40S&W, and Marlin made carbines in .45 ACP and 9MM...these are fairly common, and can be usually be found on gunbroker.com. They use commonly found pistol magazines and are a real blast to shoot. I have the Marlin in 9MM to go with my S&W 5900 series pistol. The .45 Marlin takes regular Colt 1911 mags, and the Rugers take the Ruger .40 cal pistol mags.

Last edited:

jsflagstad

40 S&W Carbine

Hi-Point makes a 40 S&W carbine. I have one and it is a really good reliable gun that I shoot a lot.