40 caliber versus 9mm versus 45 ACP

Hey guys and gals, just wanted to start a new debate. I'm a big fan of the 40. I like the fact that it combines high velocity, up to 1250 fps, big bullet diameter, manageable recoil, and a magazine capacity of around 12 rounds. The 40 also has an awesome record on the street with 96-98% one shot stops. As far as the 9mm goes, I'm not a fan. I've read horror stories about it not doing the job. The Miami shootout back in '86 comes to mind. The 9mm has moderate bullet diameter, lower recoil, and good velocity. The muzzle energy figures for the 115 grain 9mm +P run around 400 ft/lbs. The 40 155 grain has 500 ft lbs muzzle energy. The 40 gives you a bigger bullet, high velocity, and lots of energy. The 45 ACP has never appealed to me due to the low velocity. I'm just not turned on by 800-900 fps, even though the bullets are heavy and big. I'm just a fan of velocity. The 40 gives me both. I'm sure all of you folks will have differing opinions and that's fine. I've weighed all the pro's and con's and I like the fightin' 40.:D

Taurus Millenium Pro 40
Springfield XD 40 4"
Taurus Tracker 4" 357 magnum
Ruger 22/45

An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject!:D
Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6!:D

shield20

Good choice. For me depends on the weapon and capacity .40 vs .45. Here in NY we are limited to 10rnds, so capacity isn't as big an issue. Carry a 1911 in .45, but a P99 in .40 is on its way.

ps this is NOT a new debate!!!

WESHOOT2

efficacy

Suggest studying terminal performance of each; about equal say the dead men.

Last edited:

Moloch

Iam a velocity guy too, but I like the combo of 165grain + 1150fp/s, its a well balanced weight/velocity power combo; IMO the best .40S&W load. The 155 @ 1205 isnt bad too.

You made a good choice, the .40S&W is the best service pistol cartridge available today.
And I dont like the .45ACP because its really too slow, IMO the 1100fp/s is the limit, I dont like bullets traveling slower than that.

Good luck

maas

nothing under .40 cal in my book just dont like 9mm. perfect chance to bring up the 10mm .357 mag power out of a 1911 style auto

WESHOOT2

The Border Patrol has had great results with the Remington conventional 155g JHP.

If wearing my 40 S&W I use my 135g Nosler JHP / 1360fps load.

everyone has a pet round. everyone spews the data to back up their round and ignores data that is negative to their round and also spews the negative data about other rounds. there in so killem joe wounder round. all have their down side. all use different methods of computation to get to magic numbers of energy and stopping power. weather it be big bullet slow speed or small bullet faster speed or a mix.all modern expanding bullets in 9 40 and 45 show a very close one shot stop data. i discount this one shot stop info as it isnt scientific and has too many variables. most people have it ingrained in their minds that when you get shot you fall to the ground. most of these people do just that.there are some who refuse to do so . depending of what they get shot with they will fight on.they do so till they bleed out or nervous system shut down. thus the miami shoot out that was mentioned.these guys would not have stopped if shot with a 9 40 45 38 357 etc cause they were determined to kill everyone. they only stopped when they blead out or nervous shut down. it is that simple.

i will admit a 45 is bigger than a 9mm and thus has a slightly bugger chance of hitting something vital. and that more bullet weight or velocity have different effects on people for different reason.you also have to admit that historically the 357 has the greatest number of recorded shootings and higher percentage of stopps. this is a 9mm round.so see it is all relative to what argument you want to present.

the bottom line is this. first you have to have a weapon capable of getting to the heart brain or other vital structure and once it gets there do the intended damage. second it has to hit these areas. it is a which came first thing . hit the area get to the area. get to the area or hit the area.all three are capable of hitting the area and getting to the area and doing the intended damage. the greatest question is can this inanimate object do this by its self. no it cant. you have to have the skill to project that round where it needs to go. thus you have to place the shot. without shot placement all other is mute.

if a 9mm 40 10mm 45 38spc or 374 makes you confident and allows you to practice to be proficent enough to place the round then that is the gun for you.

none of the one shot stops wound channels energey dumping penetration mushrooming double tapping magical morphing bullets mean or are worth squat unless you can place it where it needs to be

918v

I've read horror stories about it not doing the job. The Miami shootout back in '86 comes to mind.

If the FBI were using 40's loaded with 135gr. bullets, the results would have been the same.

stratus

The .45 is a good round but something of a space-waster.

The .40 and 9mm get my vote. More so the latter because I like my hi-cap guns. I like my hi-cap guns very much.

Hey David, the reason I settled on the 40 is because I can shoot it very well. I've fired 9mm's with no problem, but they are weak in comparison to the 40, my opinion. I've never fired a 45, but I dont need to, since I'm lethal with a 40. :D I like big bullets movin' fast, aka the fightin' 40. :)

Mosin44az

The "one shot stop" statistics may be more useful than we think, at least for comparing the relative effectiveness of loads. I know Marshall and Sanow cut down on the shootings they count to single-shots and center-torso hits, and I think because of this the actual effectiveness of the rounds as they publish them is exaggerated. But I think the stats could still be useful to compare loads, because Marshall is to my knowledge the only one who has attempted to systematically compile the data.

While I wouldn't sweat too much over 90% versus 94% "one-shot stops", if hollowpoints are in the high 80s and low 90s and ball is in the 60s, that's a big difference worth considering. The difference between .32s and .25s is worth considering, and so on. Some of the rounds are rated based on hundreds of recorded shootings, while others have maybe 20 to go on. That's worth thinking about.

On the other hand, Duane Thomas says "I can absolutely guarantee you something that will DOUBLE your gun's stopping power: another hole."

Rainbow Six

All the compiled info is interesting but basically worthless because there is no way to prove that it means anything except that's what happened in the cases they compiled it from.

And good quote from Thomas. So true.

hispeed6

Okay, we get it.

Springfield,

While we all here can appreciate your enthusiasm for your caliber, and your choice of platform, I keep waiting for someone to accuse you of trolling. Glad it works for you, some of us may have different opinions.

This subject has been covered ad nauseum, do a search and be done with it. Why bring it up again and stir the pot?

Topthis

UUuuuuuuggggghhhhhh!!!! Sorry, just getting tired of this same thread, spun 8 billion different ways. U like? U shoot! U no like? U no shoot!