.40 Caliber Owner Rejoice!

IanS

.40 Caliber Owners Rejoice!

Before S&W put its tail between their legs and ran they produced a combat cartridge that perfectly suits modern defensive shooters. LEOs and civilians are discovering a now widely available cartridge that perfectly blends size and performance!

But due to the internet:
Lack of accuracy that,:confused: not feed reliable this,:( kBs blah,:rolleyes: and too snappy Ohh!:eek:

Go ahead and keep shooting the ancient 9mm and .45s (I still do), while us .40 caliber shooters will wait for you guys to catch up!

I just had to get that off my chest. Bring on the Flames! Especially all you .357 Sig shooters.:D

IanS

Really? Was what I said really that bad? Sorry, I'll tone it down.

I just felt the .40 has been unfairly maligned for too long.

[Edited by Ian11 on 02-16-2001 at 01:22 PM]

David Scott

Caliber choices seem to me like religions. You've got born-again .45ers, Orthodox 9mms, the .357 Fellahin and New Age .40s. All of them do about the same thing, success depends more on how you use it than what you chose, and none of them will have much luck persuading the others.

JJCook

And rejoice we will. The majority of discussions are people who practically eat sleep and breath GLOCK, how can I get my GLOCK to cook and clean, how many GLOCKS do you own, and then hear the bashing of the ever so snappy, wanna be 10mm, unreliable .40 S&W. Bottom line is, people like effective tools. It just so happens that the .40 S&W is. Long live the .40!!!

Semper Fi-
JJC

krept

I gotta agree, I love the .40 for CCW. I'm a .45 fan for full sized semis, but really think the .40 shines out of the shorter bbls, just IMO. The 155gr Gold Dots feel just about as perfect out of a G27 as 230gr +Ps feel out of a USP.

I like the 9mm too, a lot...awesome, efficient caliber.

Heck, the 357 Sig and the 10mm flat out rock too! :rolleyes: Sheesh... I think I need to borrow some money... I feel like I'm missing out on the fun by only having one .45, .40 and 9x18 Mak...

Desert Dog

Sorry, I have been enamored with .45 SUPER

I love .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, 45-70, .450 Marlin, 45-110, 458 Winchester Magnum.... and the mislabeled 460 Rowland (really a .451")

Do you see a pattern here???

My current love is, of course, .45 Super... BUT...

There is another pretty young thing that is flirting with me at this time, and I hope to win her over if she will ever go out... 450 SMC!!!!

Sorry, 40 S&W is about .051" to .058" too small... :D

IanS

Sorry to start a caliber war again. I did not intend to but I guess my choice of words did. Just trying to get people to try out this round and decide for themselves whether its right for them or not.

Its just funny how people won't even give an inch in conceding that the .40 is a solid defense round. Personally, I respect all calibers 9mm and up.

TCW

I agree...the .40 kicks butt. The recoil and accuracy is affected by which gun you're using. The full size Sig P226 (mine)is an example of a great-shooting .40. I've shot the Sig Pro with good results too. My P226 has never jammed w/ the .40S&W, and it packs 3 more rounds than the P220 (.45) which is the same size. I don't think that the .45 is a better stopper. As a bonus, you can switch out the barrel for .357 sig, but that's very optional.

That said, I also love my Ruger P97 .45.

Mylhouse

.40 Rocks!

I would have to say that the .40 is one of the most versatile auto cartridges available. With Hodgdon's new holy grail, I can safely push (<33,000 psi) a 135 gr HP at 1,480 fps out of a 4" barrel! That's 656 FOOT POUNDS of ENERGY! .357 Sig? As Hammer says, "Can't touch this!" That is even more foot pounds than the original 10mm Norma load. I sense a resurgence of .40 handguns among reloaders...

viesczy

Mylhouse, which powder are you using in the .40S&W to reach that velocity?

And if you are using that, why not step into the 10mm (more capacity/pressure) and push that 135jhp to an even higher velocity?

Derek

P

PreserveFreedom

Stepping into 40S&W is one of the wisest investments I have ever made.