40 cal search

KMAX

I went today looking for 40 cal pistols. I looked at several and would like comments positive and negative on the ones I looked at. My budget is $650 tops. I don't really like to buy used because of suspicion as to why it was traded in. The ones I looked at are listed below.

Sig 250 (I think)
Sig 2022
S&W M&P 4.25"
Ruger SR40
Ruger SR40c
Glock 23 (not really thrilled by Glock of any sort)
Beretta (don't remember the number, but same style as 92)

Also I will add that I have never really been a big fan of poly frames, but choices are limited. Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

I will also want to be able to reload for said 40cal. What makes and models don't like reloads. I think maybe Glocks fall into this, maybe not, not sure what else.

Last edited:

1goodi

The G23 is the standard by which most others 40 cals are measured. Because of police and govt agency use. With that said the Sig 250 and 2022 fall short on the glock.

Maybe the CZ but I've read more positive reviews of the Smith's. Or step up on your budget to a P229.

Good luck.

Sheriff Gotcha

Not sure if interested, but another good 40 I was looking at myself was the FNX-40. I believe FNH makes an under appreciated line of handguns. It may be something you can look into and it's in your $650 price range.

I have shot an M&P and a Sig 229. I didn't shoot the M&P well, but the Sig was spot on and I'm a new shooter. That being said I really have no advice for the other pistols, sorry I could not be of more help at this moment.

Big_Bullet

I didn't like them either, at first...

... but the Glock 23 feels like it was made for my hand and the size, capacity and reliability are just right, for me.

Sent from my Desktop using a Keyboard.

sigarms228

If you are not going to be carrying your .40 then extra weight can be an asset for control when shooting it.

My preference, by far, for a .40 is the SIG P229. Usually you can find extremely nice Certified Pre Owned P229s for under $600 and they come with a one year factorty warranty from SIG.

I own a SP2022 in 9MM and it is a great pistol. While I have never shot a SP2022 in .40 I have read about many that own then raving about how good they are.

I suggest you try out the .40's that you are considering if at all possible as I have found more than a few to be unpleasant to shoot due to the recoil. Shooting a P229 in .40 however is a pleasure and it was the caliber the P229 was designed for. I am sure the SIG P226 is also great in .40.

Good luck!!

jmhyer

For me, it would be the M&P...hands down. I have the M&P9 and it will be the one they will have to pry my cold, dead hands from. :)

insomni

I really hated the way the Sig 250 felt in my hand. it just felt clunky and weird, and didn't feel like a sig at all. (I am a HUGE fan of SIG because their grips feel so natural in my hand).

I MUCH preferred the grip on the M&P series. Excellent pistols as well.

If you're looking for a sub $600 pistol, see if you can find someone who still has some FNP-40's too. They oughta be retailing for sub 450-500 since the FNX came out, and it's a pistol that really never got its due (mainly because they overpriced it in the begining)

I will also put myself DIRECTLY into the line of fire by saying: Glocks are pretty good guns. They were the best most reliable unbreakable tortured gun ever when they came out, and remained so up through the 90's and early 2000's. But now, everyone else has caught up and started making some top notch polymer frame handguns that are just as tough, reliable, and tortured (though not publicly so) as a Glock.

Oysterboy

I have a Sig P250c 40sw. It shoots well but it has a long trigger pull. It's very smooth and easy though and it's the safety feature of the gun. Also it's a modular pistol meaning you can change slides, barrels and grips in three sizes. The FCU (Firing Control Unit) is the heart of the gun and the serial no is on it.

Interesting pistol and I like it.

EDIT: forgot to mention it's a DAO gun. This is something you'd want to take in consideration as to what type of trigger system you want.

farmerboy

Glock 23, reliable work horses. And most used are fine the reason alot of people trade them in is believing in something better and really usually it isn't or to get the newer model: gen 2/ gen3 now it's gen4

willmc33

Sig Sauer P226 / P239
Smith & Wesson 4006 / 4013
Glock 23
Smith & Wesson M&P
Springfield Armory XD
In that order is how I would take them.

Hosty79

I just bought a Ruger SR40c and just shot it yesterday and I love it. For me it shoots better than my HK USP40c.

ScotchMan

Check out the Walther PPQ before deciding. On that list, I would take the Sig SP2022, then the M&P, then all the rest are about tied.

viper7342

I have both the Smith M&P40 and the Sig SP2022 in 9mm, they both are fine weapons and, both are highly accurate and reliable. While I have never fired an SP2022 in .40 S&W, everything I've heard about them has been positive. I did own a Glock 23 several years ago, however, it never grew on me as I just couldn't master the grip angle enough to shoot it as accurately as I would have liked. as for the others, I have never owned or shot any of them so I can't be of much help there. It really boils down to whether you want Striker fired or DA/SA with an exposed hammer, but, either the Smith M&P or the Sig SP2022 would be my preferences among the guns you mentioned.

ETA: The Beretta in 40 S&W that I believe you were referring to in your OP is the Model 96.

Last edited:

Oldgoat03

G 23 is a great choice

In your OP you said

"Glock 23 (not really thrilled by Glock of any sort)" / I have never really been a big fan of poly frames" / "I will also want to be able to reload for said 40cal. What makes and models don't like reloads. I think maybe Glocks fall into this, maybe not"

I'd be curious about your experiences with Glocks that would drive such a statement. I own and shoot regularly 3 different glocks (19, 26, 23) and find them to be incredibly reliable, accurate (with practice), comfortable to carry and very simple to field strip and maintain. Also regarding your last point of reloading, all my glocks reliably feed my reloads. For what its worth reloads for my Glocks were the easiest to dial in of any of my semi autos. I have never (knock on wood) had FTF/FTE with any of them.

It may be important to you to know that I am not a Glock only guy. By far my favorite shooter is my 1911. I just know Glocks are fine weapons usually available at a reeasonable price.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit....YMMV