40 cal S&W for concealed carry

KBP

Looking to buy a 40 S&W cal. for my cc gun. Not looking for sub compact. I am looking for a well built pistol that will function with reloads and left hand friendly. Any suggestions? As of now, I am looking at the FNH and the Ruger SR40. These two pistols are as big as I want to go in size and a little smaller might be worth looking at! Maybe the Sig 239! Any suggestions?

DealHunter

My friend has a P239 in .40 and it's a little snappy (I have the .357 sig model and I find it a little less so). Depending on your budget, the EMP in .40 is very nice (once you break it in, it should handle reloads).

Otherwise, M&P 40c isn't bad; haven't tried the Rugers so can't really say for them...

RBid

I favor the Glock 19/23 frame. Among the smaller options, I prefer the SR9/40 or M&P 9/40 compact models. I like that I can get all of my fingers on them, and they conceal effortlessly for me.

ShootingNut

Another vote for the M&P compact in .40. Love mine, accurate, reliable,
and nice carry size. Comfortable packing in my Kholster IWB holster, well
concealed. One to consider in my opinion.

Last edited:

BrassAndLead

Another vote for the M&P compact in .40. Love mine, accurate, reliable,
and nice carry size. Comfortable packing in my Kholster IWB holster, well
concealed. One to consider in my opinion

Nice looking piece! This is the model at the top of my wishlist right now. Btw, where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in Madison.

ClydeFrog

Left handers are all right!....

There are a few top selections for a ambi-left hand type semi-auto .40 pistol.
I'm left handed too & work on EP/security jobs so I look for high quality, ambi style sidearms.

Good selections IMO include: Beretta PX4 Compact or the PX4 C(constant) .40, the SIG-Sauer P229R, P239 DAK(with night sights), HK P2000 or P2000sk(with night sights, LEM), S&W SD40(with Trijicon HD sights), FNS .40, Walther PPX in .40S&W(very rare :(), Ruger SR40 or SR40 compact.

Use only factory made high quality rounds for defense-duty. No reloads or hand-loads. Top .40 carry rounds include: Hornady Critical Duty 175gr, TAP, DPX, PowRball, Speer Gold Dot 165gr JHP, Remington Golden Saber 165gr JHP, Ranger T/T Series .40S&W.

CF
www.midwayusa.com www.grafs.com www.uscav.com www.shopcorbon.com www.natchezss.com www.cabelas.com www.ammotogo.com www.berettausa.com www.ruger.com www.sigsauer.com

tomrkba

Glock 22 or 23.

I think the M&P improves on the Glock design. Take a look at HK. You may want to google around to see which designs have the least felt recoil.

However, look at the the Springfield Armory EMP in 40 S&W if you like 1911s.

okiewita40

I would vote for the Glock 23 Gen 4. That way you can move the mag release to the proper side for shooting left handed.