40 cal pistol needed

KBP

I am looking for a 40 S&W cal handgun with a light and crisp trigger. Need one for large hands but for CC. Many that I tried in the smaller versions have a trigger pull that is only suited for a lawyer! Any suggestions? The smaller, the better. (but I have large hands)

Mystro

If price is no object then either the HK USP Compact 40 or the Sig Sauer P229. Both were designed ground up for the 40 S&W. Both are top of the line combat pistols.

USPC3.jpg

Sig1net.jpg

Hammerhead

The nicest, crispest triggered .40 I shot was a friend's 1911 in .40. Very accurate, soft shooting.
Maybe a commander or officer's 1911 in .40?

silverstang23

Light and crisp aren't whats comes to my mind when thinking of S&W. You really cant go wrong with any of your major manufactures. You can put a nice trigger on a glock, Sigs are good, H&K, 1911

Uncle Malice

Light and crisp aren't whats comes to my mind when thinking of S&W.

I know a lot of M&P owners who would disagree with you.

Drop an Apex or ATEI trigger into an M&P and it's about the best striker fired trigger you can get.

Dc777

The last I checked smith and wesson is a " major manufacturer " and the trigger isn't that dang bad. Is it as nice as a custom $2000 pistol? No. But it isn't a piece of junk.

Nathan

DC, I would respectfully disagree with your assessment of the M&P trigger. It is junk. Sure, buying a trigger kit makes it better, but I, like many would prefer to buy RTG when possible. Please understand, this is no slight on you, just on the pistol.

That said, I would reccommend the XD or XDM 40. Also, 1911's like the SA EMP 40 are easy to carry and other real 1911's can be light in an aluminum frame. Fit to hand is highly tunable and there is no better trigger than a tuned 1911. A better grade 1911 often has a good OOTB trigger.

doofus47

I have a full-size Walther p99 AS in .40.
Double action (pulling w/out pre-load) is a long journey.
Once you get it into SA mode, the trigger is as good as any I've pulled.
You can pre-cock it and carry it that way, if you wish.
I think that it comes in a compact size as well.

subhuman

G23 fine weapon if you can shoot it ( i suck with it)
Shield .40 hides better than a G23, I can shoot it, trigger is around 6lbs. heavy but doesn't suck.
Springfield EMP .40 one of these days, will never admit to my wife what it cost :D

KBP

40 cal for cc

Thanks for everyone's help! I am very aware of Sig. I sold a Sig P239 because it was too small for my hands. I am going to check out the HK and Sig P229. I don't think either would be a bad choice. I just have to see which feels better in my hand and has the better trigger. Thanks to all! "The Firing Line" has the best and most helpful people on the internet! :D Ken

I just recently tangled with this very problem myself and ended up with a nice P229R. Very pleased with it. Just before I got the P229, I missed a slick deal on an USP-40 Compact. If I could go back and get the USP, I probably would.

Consider a Glock 23. Surprisingly small, snagless Glock design, good capacity, light, etc.

The FNX-40 has a very similar form factor to the P229, and is an excellently turned out handgun.

jr24

The Glock 23 is the only .40 s&w remaining in my possession, which was a surprise since I didn't even want one originally (won it at a raffle). Concealable, reliable, accurate and it handles the recoil of the .40 best in my hands (very, very subjective statement as recoil management depends on the shooter so much).

Mine's a Gen 3 and I think I'd prefer a Gen 4 (for the grip texture) if I were to do it again.

5.5 lb trigger isn't light and not terribly crisp, but I shoot the Glock-style striker triggers best of anything short of a 1911. I absolutely hate M&P Triggers, even with APEX, just my opinion.

Oysterboy

I have a Sig P250c in 40sw and it's DAO with a long trigger that I feel safe carrying with a round in the pipe.

You'll want a pistol that's DAO or DA/SA. Carrying a SA pistol with a round in the pipe is risky even though it's cocked and locked.

Oruglock

Springfield XDm .40 S&W 3.8" compact

You can put a Pierce grip extension on the 11 round magazine for larger habnds (like mine), or use the 16 round magazines when size is not an issue.

Northrider

s & W Sigma in .40 is relatively light but has long trigger pull for DA first shot. Price is decent. The Springfield XDm is a really good option too. I have both and like them, but am more partial to the XDm.

kcub

You can upgrade the HK USP trigger to match. Compact probably uses the same kit, check to be sure.

I love the P30 but it's trigger can't be upgraded. It's good enough to me, rent one and see how you feel about it. The ergos can't be beat.

The 1911s will always have the best attainable trigger due to the straight back design.