.40 155grn SWC Power Pistol load help

kgpcr

Well my son came home for Thanksgiving and took off with my reloading books LOL. It will be a week or two before I get them back. I need some help. I want to load up some 155Grn SWC hard cast bullets for my .40S&W with Power Pistol. Can you help me out with some loads? Thanks for your help!

oldpapps

Sorry, as close as I can come is 5.3 grains of 231/HP38 for 912 FPS out of a 3 inch SPFD XD Sub Compact (the same weight of bullet, 155 grains, only jacketed, with 5.4 grains of 231/HP38 gets 915 FPS).

Don't have anything for Power Pistol powder. Mr. Lee shows 6.7 to max of 7.0 but I still don't have/use Power Pistol.

Load with care,

OSOK

Sevens

I use a lot of Power Pistol, but I don't load 155's in .40 S&W. (Hmm, I don't load 155's in anything! :p)

My most trusted source for published load data with Power Pistol to reference is Alliant's 2005 printed guide. This was the last one they made before ATK took over the load data and dumbed it down horribly and wiped out numerous different bullet types and loads. The guides they print now mirror exactly the data offered on the web, which is cheap.

That guide shows 7.0gr as a MAX load under a 155 grain Laser Cast lead slug, turning in 1,115 FPS at 32,300 PSI. 1.125" COAL minimum, and they used a Winchester WSP primer.

As a double-check, I also referenced my 2002 Alliant printed guide (which they also named "Volume 2") and it shows exactly the same data clear across the board.

Hope that helps. Start below that, please, and work toward it.

NWPilgrim

Lyman 49th shows for 150 gr LTC and Power Pistol 6.3-7.0 gr and for 175 LTC bullet 5.9-6.6 gr.

I use 6.8 gr with 165 gr LTC and it is plenty accurate. For 155 gr bullets your max is probably between 6.8-7.0 gr. according to Lyman.