40,000 ordered to evacuate in Colorado!

Libertarian

Due to the wild fires that are burning out of control near Denver, the gov. ordered the forced evacuation of 40,000 people from the South West side of Denver.

I suppose we will now see how well evacuation plans run.

Ceol Mhor

Speaking as a guy who works for Jefferson County Colorado this summer and who happen to be in the GIS (geographic info systems) department right now, it's true. These are really big fires, and a bunch of people around here are scrambling to "do something!" The big evacuation is Roxborough Park, though - not Denver.

After shooting for an hour at the range yesterday, my friend's car had a light coating of ash all ofer it, from a fire in the next county (Park County).

dZ

Colorado fire burns 500 acres an hour

Wildfire may force 40,000 from Denver area

'Real scary, dangerous fire'

June 10, 2002 Posted: 4:51 PM EDT (2051 GMT)

DENVER, Colorado (CNN) --A wildfire burning in the Pike National Forest southwest of Denver overnight gobbled up timberland at a rate of more than 500 acres an hour, growing to 25,700 acres, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

Although burning more than 40 miles from downtown Denver, the fire was depositing large amounts of smoke and soot across the city. Different sections of the blaze were spreading in Park, Jefferson and Douglas counties, spurring evacuations in Deckers, Colorado, Trumbull, the Wigwam Creek area, as well as areas west of Colorado Highway 67.

Numerous local roads, including part of Colorado 67, have been closed because of the quickly growing fire.

The flames were threatening at least 20 residences, 20 outbuildings and four commercial properties, but none had been lost or damaged, according to the Forest Service. At least 120 firefighters are battling the wildfire with more en route.

The fire, known as the Hayman Fire, began Saturday afternoon from an illegal campfire in Park County, about six miles northwest of Lake George.

In western Colorado, near Glenwood Springs, authorities on Sunday afternoon reopened a corridor of Interstate 70 that had been closed because of a raging wildfire nearby.

Traffic was moving once again in both directions, according to the Colorado Highway Patrol.

Earlier, authorities had closed a 69-mile stretch of I-70 between Rifle and Wolcott because of heavy smoke and encroaching flames.

Evacuations were mandated for residents in the western part of Glenwood Springs and by late Sunday morning sheriff's deputies cleared the numerous campgrounds in the area, telling campers to leave immediately.

Jill Peterson with the Garfield County Sheriff's Department said it's a familiar scene to residents, who have experienced similar fires in the past.

"No injuries as far as I know," she said, but added that 40 structures had been damaged. Peterson said officials estimate the fire was spread across 7,000 acres, and was zero percent contained.

Peterson said about 250 emergency responders and 100 National Guard members were working the fire, and the high, gusting winds of Saturday were calmer in the morning.

About 2,000 people were evacuated from houses and nearby lodges -- some to the Spring Valley Campus of Colorado Mountain College -- seven miles southeast of town on highway 82.

Red Cross representative Kathleen Golding said about 200 people had already made their way to the campus, which had opened up its cafeteria and its dorm rooms to help feed and house the newly homeless.

"We know for a fact that a lot of people here won't go home before Wednesday," Golding said. "Some have lost everything. There's a family of six children and mom and dad, elderly and the handicapped," describing the crowd inside the cafeteria. Golding said 16 beds set aside for the disabled were instantly filled.

The campus is also feeding some of the firefighters, with 400 meals prepared just for them and another 260 meals added for the evacuees. "It's changing constantly as the situation changes," Golding added.

The Glenwood Springs fire may have started from a coal seam in the area that has been burning since the 1970s. Officials said the seam had been blamed for starting other fires in the past.

Glenwood Springs is located about 160 miles west of Denver along Interstate 70.

Colorado is a tinderbox with the fire threat in half the state rated in the extreme category, with the rest of Rocky Mountain state earning a high to very high fire danger rating from the Forest Service.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/06/10/colorado.wildfire/index.html

Oak '58

Well then, maybe FOX is not as superior to CNN as some of us
may think. They need to check THEIR sources. I'm currently
listening to a live press conference by the governor - he just said
that as of now, there are no mass evacuations planned. He did ask
that people be aware of the situation, listen to the radio, etc. He also closed
Roxborough, Cheeseman & Eight-Mile state parks.

So far, sounds like Chicken-Little is loose in Colorado. No doubt,
these are scary fires. And they could get much worse, damn fast.
But to have FOX or anybody else yelling about forced evacuations
as current fact doesn't help anybody. JMHO. Oak

Libertarian

I'd be glad to be wrong in this case but I just check Rocky Mountain News and they're saying the same thing.
Up to 40,000 ordered to evacuate
By The Associated Press
June 10, 2002

A wind-whipped wildfire prompted authorities to order the evacuation of up to 40,000 people today from their homes along the southwestern edge of the Denver metropolitan area.

Ceol Mhor

Holey moley...my boss just came in to announce that our map guys arew being put on a 24-hour shift rotation schedule.

The currest estimate is that this fire (Cheeseman Lake) will take two weeks to extinguish, and the areas to be evacuated are huge. Multiple hundreds of thousands of acres destroyed.

Oak '58

Yeah, I was just reading that - at least they hedged their bets
and said UP TO 40,000. It looks like this is the reason that the
gov felt the need to get on the air and state very clearly that no
systematic evacuations have been ordered or are imminent.

Like I said, Chicken-Little has found a home in the news services.
They are always in such a confounded hurry to get the scoop on
the competition, and be able to crow that they are the first to
report something... it's disgusting at times. IF the winds keep
up, and IF the temp stays high, things could get much worse
in the metro area. But currently, this is still a nasty FOREST fire.
We're losing a lot of beautiful woodlands, but I wish the press
would get it right for once. Again, JMHO.

Larry Ashcraft

Scary situation, and bound to get worse. Yesterday it was 100 degrees here and the wind was blowing 25-35 MPH. I don't think we've had an inch of rain since January 1.

Edward429451

Everything west of SR 67 from Lake george to Denver is what I just heard. Its not a mass evacuation, there just evacuating following the fire line. True info is all over ham radio. My friend has 40 acre up there, I may go up and help some more.

Steve Smith

Eastern CO folks...

I'm getting concerned about a grassland fire. My wife and I put together a boogie bag in the event that it happens. Just a thought. Mow your grass if you have some tall stuff around. Here in the grassland, its not unusual for folks to let their acerage grow to ever a foot tall, but when the weather is this dry that's a real danger. I still have about .5 acre that tall, but its in the middle of 6 acres that is well groomed. Gonna mow that tonight. Tall grass is scaring the *** out of me.

Solitar

Regarding the "chicken little" stuff, the media is scaring people far and wide.
Unfortunately many of these blissninnnies living among the pines need to be scared badly before they do something. Yet how many of these fires have we had throughout the west and these people STILL have not gotten serious about brush and tree cutting around their homes.

These fires have burnt out anywhere from several to several DOZEN homes so far this year.

Then again, people have been building houses nestled in the pines all over these hills for decades. Now it is time to pay th piper if they don't take down those pines NOW and for some good distance around their homes or their neighborhoods.

As to terrorists...
Nah, this is a homegrown problem that's been building for years.
Though I wouldn't put it past some of those guys to take advantage of it.

From a forestry view, the fuel has been permitted to build to conflagration levels.
Too many years of fighting little fires and letting diseased trees stand.
It is a cleansing which these forests used to periodically get
especially in dry years like this.
Much of Colorado has had less than one inch of rain in two months.
You can start 12x12 timbers with a match and one sheet of paper.
You don't need kindling. I've seen it done (and had to sand out the fire)

Stetson_CO

There is an evac going on in Park County. My mom lives in Woodland Park and the county line is 8 miles form her.

Hotel room reserved alreayd for them if they have to go....

c):{