4 rules of window washing safety..

ds1973

Well yesterday was a warm, yet windy, day here in western NY. Since the chances of future snow seemed very slim, I decided to remove the sandbags from my truck. While doing this, I noticed that the windows of my cap and cab could use a good cleaning. I also figured this was a good time to apply the Rain-X I had bought.

So I go back into my apartment, grab a roll of paper towels and a spray bottle of windex. I'm half-way down the stairs when I notice that my finger is running along-side the spout of the windex bottle OFF of the trigger. Just as it would be if I had picked up a firearm. I had to laugh, but was glad to see that I had ingrained this into me since I began regularly handling firearms three years ago!

So the four rules of Windex Safety:

1) Treat every windex bottle as if it were full.
2) Always keep your finger OFF of the trigger until you are ready to spray.
3) Never point the nozzle at anything you're not willing to clean.
4) Know the surface to be cleaned and what its soiled with.

(Oh and don't spray into the wind) :D

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
I hate this term, but I was actually doing it just now... LOL!

I hope you were wearing your safety glasses, too!

Mal H

Staff
... and eye protection. Sometimes the blow back from a vigorous squirt can get in your eyes - very painful.

Do you use the reduced capacity bottles that come with the commercial product or the full capacity "super soaker" bottle that are available only to professional window washers?

Ledbetter

Next question

Was the sprayer set on "fast and light" or "slow and heavy?"

Hint: This is a Fackler/Marshall&Sanow joke.

[Edited by Ledbetter on 04-09-2001 at 09:46 PM]

Monkeyleg

Did the bottle have any MIM parts? Is the 12 ounce size sufficient for home defense, or would you recommend a 32 ounce size? Does anyone know a good holster for Windex?

Dick

Sisco

Here's a tip... forget the paper towels, use old newspaper. Cheaper and does a better job. As liberal as my local paper is it's the best use I've found for it so far.

moa

I understand right now that at the supermarket there is "instant check-out" for Windex. But, I now hear Senators Kennedy, Schumer, Clinton, etc., want to impose at least a three day waiting period.

Next thing they will be doing background checks to ensure you are not a homeless "squeegee man" planning to use your Windex irresponsibly. ;)

rogermac

ds1973,

Since you didn't say Buffalo, I figure you must be in one of the more rural areas of WNY. I grew up in Batavia, and remember well the sand bags in the back of the truck. :barf: Kinda homesick lately, but it's definatly not for the winter weather. Arizona is just too nice in December. (We won't discuss August, however :rolleyes: )

Happy Shootin'... Mac

Mike in VA

Here in Falls Church it was 89 today

I was born in Ithaca, mom's from Albany, dad's from Croghan (near Watertown, where they always tell you how cold it is when it's really cold, in Watertown). Here in NoVA the daffies are out, the cherry blossoms are at peak, tulip magnolias are beautiful, Bradford pears will be peaking next week, my boat is in the water, and I hope Spring finds you soon, dude, There are alternatives. Stay safe, young man. M2

HankB

...As liberal as my local paper is it's the best use I've found for it so far.
Lucky you. My local paper is at it's best lining a bird cage. Or paper-training a pooch.

And yes BonAmi works well on windows. In fact, GM actually recommends it for bugs on the windshield and for removing that schmutzy film that outgassing plastic deposits on the inside of car windows.

Soon, the Bureau of Solvents, Soaps, and Cleaners will publish new regulations making BonAmi a Title II product, restricting production lots manufactured after a certain date to licensed contractors and government agencies only . . .

ds1973

thanks for the laugh....

:) Yes it was a regular capacity 32 oz windex bottle. I didn't know I couldn't own a selective spray bottle though.. Don't tell the BATW!

Rogermac, I'm in Tonawanda. I try not to tell people I'm in "Buffalo".

Mike in Va: I went to school in Potsdam, NY. Colder than Watertown. :)

I knew this topic would get some hilarious responses. Thanks for not letting me down. :)

Kharn

I personally do a reverse mozambique for home defense window washing. Two quick shots to the top of the pane, and another to the center of mass, and a quick squeegee to clean up the evidence before the police find me doing the windows, if they spotted me they would certainly drag my rear to the nuthouse.

Kharn

buzz_knox

A friend of mine was really depressed because of recurring headaches. He just couldn't take it anymore so he stuck a bottle of Windex in his ear and pulled the trigger.

Come to find out, he had an ear infection. The Windex cleared everything out and he's happy as a clam. :)

Kids, don't try this at home.