4 inch or 5?

TCman

Im very interested in getting a handhun, and I really like the XD45 with the all black finish. My question is what is the pros and cons of the four or five inch models? Which will be easier to handle? less recoil?

Lycanthrope

The longer sight radius of the 5" makes it a tad bit easier to shoot and will help in managing recoil due to the extra weight.

The downside to the 5"?
Extra weight and harder to carry.

tony stark

xd 5"

imho, get the 5 inch! i can't get one in california. springfield makes 3 guns that the state will allopw to be sold, but springfield isn't making enough to supply the demand. not that they are expensive, they are not out there to be bought.
if i could get one i would have already ordered it:confused: :mad:

The Body Bagger

The 5" inch Xd is awkward as hell, at least to me it is. It just doesn't balance very well. IMHO you'd be better suited with the 4" model. It looks more correct aesthetically speaking and its easier to carry.

stephen426

First question should be what is your main purpose for the gun? If it is for home defense and target shooting, the longer gun will be easier to shoot more accurately due to the longer sight radius. You will also get slightly more velocity out of the 5 inch. Over long distance, the extra inch may also improve accuracy slightly. Unless you plan on shooting at long distances, the accuracy difference is pretty much negligable.

If you plan on getting a concealed carry permit, you might want to go with the smaller gun since it is easier to conceal. The slide length does not affect overall concealability as much as grip length (unless you carry horizontally in a shoulder holster). If the grip is long (Glock 17 vs. Glock 26) it makes strong side carry (on the side of your body) pretty difficult since the butt of the gun will stick out. If you carry IW (inside the waistband) SOB (small of the back) barrel length comes into play since a long gun may reach your spine, making it uncomfortable to carry. Personally, I can't stand IWB SOB carry since I find it uncomfortable as heck. If you live in a cold climate and frequently wear a jacket, you can conceal pretty much any handgun

I hope that helps you rather than confuses you. Good luck. :eek: