#4 Buck. I probably should have asked first

skeeter1

I know I should have asked you all first, but I ordered a couple of boxes of #4 12-gauge Magnum buckshot, for HD and fun out on the farm. I've got a few rounds of 000 12-gauge Magnums, but I'm worried that they might be bad as far as overpenetration goes. I've read that #4 buck is is a good HD load. I live in a fairly populous area, and would hate to have those 000s going through the wall and hurting someone else.

Do you think #4 bucks are good for HD, or did I just waste some money? 27 .25 cal. pellets strikes me that it would get the job done, and less likely to hurt somone else.

Mods- feel free to move this to whichever forum at your discretion. I thought I'd start here.

Thanks

skeeter1

Yankee Doodle

Before I retired, the standard load in the Remington 870s we had in the patrol cars was #4 buck. I see no problem in using this as a HD load. It's what I use. Be advised however, it tends to reduce anything it hits at close range to a really messy pile of glop. No fun to clean up.
Y.D.

skeeter1

Y. D.--

Thanks for the input. In the unlikey event that I ever have to put some shotshells into a BG, there are places like this one,

http://www.biocleanservices.com/

to help clean up the mess. If I ever have to pull the trigger, cleanup is probably going to be the least of my worries.

kkb

Not magnum, but you get the idea...

Mfr: Sellier & Bellot
P/N: ?
Desc: 2¾ in, 4 Buck, 21 pellets
fps: Avg 1128, Min 920, Max 1309, SD 188, N 4
Spread: 5yd/4in, 10yd/10in, 15yd/13in
attachment.php

YMMV
P.S. 12 guage, 18" bbl, Cylinder choke.

skeeter1

Thanks, kkb and Yankee Doodle

Impressive photos. I've always heard that #4 buck was a good HD round. I'll save the 000 rounds for if I have to stop a truck engine dead in its tracks. I think they would do the job. ;)

I believe the late Mel Tappan touted this as the ultimate defensive shotgun round.

I've got a bit of 00 and slugs on hand, but yeah, I stock # 4s too. My bedside gun is ready to go with them.

I did think they were .22 cal pellets though; can anyone clarify?

kkb

I did think they were .22 cal pellets though; can anyone clarify?
Buck Diameter(inches) grns/pellet
4 .24 20.5
3 .25 23.5
1 .30 40
0 .32 48
00 .33 54
000 .36 70

.22 caliber is about .224 inches.

Just for grins here's the advertised velocities for some 22LRs
Rem. Viper: 1410 (36gr)
CCI Mini-Mag: 1235 (40gr)
Fed Gold Medal: 1080 (40gr)

Jager1

04 Buck is fine for SD.

I prefer 01 Buck (12 to 16 pellet) when I am able to obtain it. Still, I do own 04 Buck and have no problems with it, especially when faced with the potential problems you mention.

AmesJainchill

Thanks for the input. In the unlikey event that I ever have to put some shotshells into a BG, there are places like this one,

http://www.biocleanservices.com/

to help clean up the mess. If I ever have to pull the trigger, cleanup is probably going to be the least of my worries.p

Exactly what I was going to say--there's people you can pay who know how to do it right.