4" 22LR Revolver

Master Blaster

Either a used S&W 617 which you may be able to find in a local store for $400, or a new Taurus 94, 941. If you dont mind single action a Ruger single 6 or bearcat.

j.chappell

New, used, single, or double action. I would really like to know where the shops are that have $400 and less used S&W's sitting around. I must just live in a terrible area.

J.

DMZX

New, used, single, or double action. I would really like to know where the shops are that have $400 and less used S&W's sitting around. I must just live in a terrible area.

Same here. Used S&W .22's are rarely found for sale in shops or in the Nickel. I looked in my area for two years and never found a single one for sale, let alone for $400 or less.

I finally settled on a 4" Taurus 94.

22-rimfire

Bass Pro and Cabela's of course in Harrisburg area. :) :)

I grew up in Central PA. What part of South Central PA are you talking about? Bedrford, Franklin, Adams counties?

To be honest, I don't see many quality revolvers under $400 any more. Although that is about where you will find Model 17's, Model 18's and so forth when you find them. Only Ruger.... what can I say?

stevieboy

I've purchased 3 used Smith .22s in the past year. Their prices were: $500 (4" 617); $545 (6" 617); and $375 (8 3/8" 17-5). The last one I consider to be a fluke. The others were representative of the market. If you check out the prices on Gunbroker for K-22s, 17s, 18s, and 617s, you'll see what I mean.

Smaug

Sounds like the original poster should either save up another $100 and find a used S&W or get a Single Six.

L_Killkenny

Quote: "Sounds like the original poster should either save up another $100 and find a used S&W or get a Single Six."

Sounds like he should either find a used H&R or buy a Taurus. Nothing wrong with either choice. Maybe look into a Charter arms but I don't have experience with them .I will admit that if he doesn't mind a SA the Ruger would be the one to get and it fits his price but then again you can't buy them with 4" barrels so they don't meet his requirements. Either do the over-priced Smiths.

LK

ChicagoTex

Sounds like the original poster should either save up another $100 and find a used S&W or get a Single Six.

I agree, my 617-1 6" was $485 (used) and it's a gem. I keep eyeing that stainless Ruger Single-Six when I go to the gun shop though. Bearcat's way too small for my mitts.

Sounds like he should either find a used H&R or buy a Taurus. Nothing wrong with either choice. Maybe look into a Charter arms but I don't have experience with them

H&Rs and Charters in particular have a reputation for loosening up quite a bit over time - in the short term they're alright, but they're hardly fine handguns. Tauruses do quite well when produced properly from the factory, based on what I've read and how many returns occur at my gun shop of choice, it seems that a buyer has roughly a 2/3rds chance of getting a "good" Taurus whenever they buy one. Personally, I think those odds suck.

22-rimfire

For giggles I was looking at the used guns offered for sale at Cabela's on their website. There are a number of Model 17's and K-22's. I believe the least expensive price is in the $600 range with one listed as $1300. Ouch. They have a number of Model 18's and they really look good. Prices are high.

orionengnr

I have bought one M-17 ($450 on SWForum), one M-18 ($400 locally), and almost bought another M-18 ($375, Mesquite Gun Show) all within the last year and a half. All were in 98% or so.

The $375 one was only about three months ago. Should have grabbed it, hesitated a bit, and it was gone.

Keep your eyes open, they are out there.

Either do the over-priced Smiths.
Not over-priced, just twice the gun the Taurii or the Single-Sixes are. :)

Stainz

I have been consolidating my collection to what I really like and enjoy since last spring. Mainly, I have said goodbye to my Rugers, with the exception of a bp c&b Old Army. The last to go, my MKII and accessories, yielded $450. I ponied up $195 more to get a new 4" 10-shot 617, s/t and all, in early September. I sure didn't like spending more on a .22LR revolver from S&W than I did for a new 6" 629 three years ago, but times have changed. That 617 is a K-frame - it could have been a 67. It does have a more expensive to make cylinder, of course. I understand the cost... but still, it's 'just a .22'.

Mine will be three months old this week, even if it was made in May. I have taken it to every range trip since I bought it. Certainly, it is that much fun! I know that, at sixty, I won't get as much use out of any firearm purchases as I would have had they been made in my twenties. But, I had a small family then - kids to raise, etc. I will get my money's worth now... after all, I still buy green bananas. What is it worth to you to have a great .22LR 4" S&W with a great company backing your purchase? Sure, you could buy a new Taurus for just over half - certainly within your budget, but if you want a better revolver, find a way to get a new S&W - you'll be happier. In my case, my safe is much less full - but they are all S&Ws. Sell something you don't use - and get something you want.

IMG_0619.jpg

Stainz

plom

I just got a Ruger SP101 22lr with a 4" barrel, it's a great shooter! My wife carry it now and I consider to get another one "kit gun" when walking in the woods.

Old Gaffer

Have you tried looking at Hendershots? http://www.hendershots.net/

Yeah, they're in MD so there's the whole FFL thing to deal with, and their homepage would have you believe that they're totally rifle/hunting-centric. I've heard from a friend in whom I have the greatest confidence that they're good people to deal with, they have a good (and of course, changing) selection of new and used handguns, and he stops by almost every year on his way to/from Camp Perry for the Pistol Nationals.

Universal disclaimer applies.

All the best,
Rob