4" 1911 in a full sized IWB holster - Yea or nay?

Chuck Dye

It appears there will be a 20 to 26 week wait for a Milt Sparks holster fitted to the Kimber Compact Stainless I have ordered. I will certainly at least experiment with toting the 4" gun in the IWB holster that carries the full sized 1911. Has anyone any experience with a such a combo? Assuming the full sized holster securely manages the compact pistol, am I risking damage to the holster?

tplumeri

Most 1911 holsters capable of holding a full size will also hold the smaller
1911's w/o a problem.
just check that it fits snug and secure

Chuck Dye

Have you had any problems with liner separation in the unused inch of your full sized holster? What brand full sized IWB have you run your 4" in?

Chuck Dye

Wow, I did not know of BHPs having shorter barrels than standard in the way that there are 3" and 4" 1911s. Have you had any issues with running a shorter gun in a full sized holster?

patrol

Commander 1911

Full size or Mil Spec is going to be a 5 inch barrel. I usually carry IWB with a Desantis Prostealth holster which is balistic nylon and very comfortable and the best way in my opinion to carry concealed. I highly reccomend any "commander" 4 or 4.4 barrel especially with a alloy or lightweight frame. Most of the Kimbers in the "Procarry" class are the commander models and are 4inch barrels. Point in fact the main issue with IWB carry isnt even the barrel length, it's the grip and the external "hammer. The rounded hammer on most commander type 1911's as well as the extended beavertail keeps the hammer from biting into your body. I have to say I have a great deal of different subcompact and other type handguns and the Procarry Kimber is an excellent choice specifically for IWB Carry..

AK103K

The biggest problem you'll have with the shorter barrel in a full sized leather holster is, the inch or so without the barrel in it will start to collapse and flatten, and possibly bend a little over time. If you go to use the full size again, it might need a little readjusting.

Its a non issue with most kydex holsters.

I usually always bought full sized 1911 holsters just for the reason you state, they work for most all 1911's. If you buy the shorter holsters, they too will work, but the barrel just hangs out.

Blade Tech actually makes a holster just for this purpose that does just that.

If your looking for a Milt Sparks VMII, Top Gun Supply seems to have them on a regular basis for a little premium. The go for about $125. They also email you when the do come in if they are out. I've bought all of mine off them and havent had to wait more than a couple of weeks.

Murdock

I've had a Milt Sparks Summer Special for about 15 years, in which I carry a 5" government model with a very high level of comfort and satisfaction.

When I decided to carry daily about 7 years ago, I thought a Colt Defender, and later a Kimber CDP, would work even better. They didn't, because the Summer Special worked as well or better with the 5", which I am now back to full time.

I'm tall at 6'1", so maybe a shorter person would have a less satisfactory experience with that extra inch. And like others have indicated, the last inch of leather is going to start to collapse with only a 4" inside.

Magyar

4" 1911 in a full sized IWB holster - Yea or nay?
Not for me...I have a good build for it, but find the presentation/drawstroke a bit cumbersome, even w/practice...OWB or Shoulder rig for me for full-size weapons...