4” S&W M19-5 round butt

burrhead

Something in the neighborhood of 15 years ago I picked up a round-butted 4” model 19. I carried it until a couple of years ago and then put the weapon into semi-retirement. I’ve always known it’s a little bit of an unusual configuration (been carrying some kind of S&W revolver for 35 years) but now I’m starting to realize this is probably part of a small, special run for the Government done in the 80’s. Serial number is AYZ88XX. Does anyone have any info?

TIA

Well, the round butt 4" Model 19 was occasionally cataloged, so it's not necessarily part of a government contract.

Most commonly, however, the round butt was found on the 2.5" version.

Ga Johnny

"now I’m starting to realize this is probably part of a small, special run for the Government done in the 80’s"

Or one that's had a barrel tranplant

Well, the round butt 4" Model 19 was occasionally cataloged, so it's not necessarily part of a government contract.
There was a run of round-butt, 4" Model 19's made and marked for the Office of Naval Intelligence. The ONI guns are somewhat sought after.

burrhead

It’s been my understanding that the AYZ prefix was used on a run of the 4” round-butt 19-5s made for Diplomatic Services security personal. That may all be BS but I got it from a pretty good source. I donno, just looking for some verifiable info.

OK, I finally found my Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson.

There was a run of 19-5s 4-inch round butts made for US Dept. of State with no identifying markings, so that would certainly fit with what you've heard.

Your next step is probably to pay the research fee to S&W and see what their records come up with.

hhb

Round Butts

Two or three years ago, I bought two S&W Model 10 4" round butt revolvers, and both have the grooved backstrap like Model 19's

shooter1911

About 35 years ago I had a neighbor friend who was with the FBI, and part of a special team (probably equivalent to HRT or SWAT these days). He showed me his carry weapon which was a 4" Blue Mod 19 with a round butt. He told me only the special team guys got to carry the round butt version. That was the first time I saw one. I thought it was a really neat configuration at the time.

Last edited: