38super for IPSC Major Power Factor

jakester

I have been preoccupied with 45acp for many years and considering a change to 38super. Can 38super be loaded "safely" to Major Power Factor in an uncompensated 1911 pistol. I am just starting my research and would appreciate any help.

WESHOOT2

EASY LOADING MAJOR (if you're real friggin' careful)

151g Rainier TCJ-RN, NEW cases, CCI500, Alliant Power Pistol (start around 5.7g and WORK UP SLOW!), chronograph.
Load as long as YOUR gun and magazines allows, normally around 1.260-1.270".

Only need around 1130fps to make comfy Major (and I can do it in my 9's) and the 38 Super case and your gun will not normally be stressed at this power level.

Repeat, CHRONOGRAPH.

if your super does not have a supported chamber you may see fire blow out the mag well when the case fails..Been there - done that...as a matter of fact i have a blown out case glued to my powder measure just as a reminder....if you have a supported chamber--go for it--if not- forget it---Dick

Covert Mission

Check the USPSA website or post in the Competition area here: my understanding is that .38 Super isn't legal for Limited class... has to be .40 cal and above (where major loads are an advantage). You see .38 Super in Open class mostly. If you're gonna use it in IDPA ESP class, you don't need to make major. Major in USPSA is 170, I think, but someone here will know. It's 165 for IDPA CDP, or was. Good luck. You could always go with 9x23... that case has a thicker web. OR, 10mm, and you can load up for major or down for minor, and get a .40 SW barrel too, and have your choice of calibers (easier to get .40 brass for general use).

GrandmasterB

It's my understanding that for Limited or Limited 10 class in USPSA (IPSC), that the bullet diameter must be 40 or above to make major, and that the power factory must be at least 165. So, i don't think 38 super qualifies, based on the size of the round. 40, 10mm and 45 ACP seem are the popular rounds in these classes.

I think you can load it to make major in an "Open" class gun.

Check for sure on www.uspsa.org

.38 Super is legal in IDPA, and the ESP division power factor is 125, so you can load them real light. CDP division is for 45 ACP only as of May 2001.