.38s out of a .357

Driveout02

I've heard that shooting lots of .38 rounds out of a .357 will cause pitting and scoring b/c of the 1/10 of an inch difference in caliber lengths. I recently shot a box and a half through my K frame Smith, and when I came home, there were neat little lines toward the end of each cylinder. Is this the scoring I've heard about, or does anyone have any pictures of what that scoring might look like? Thanks in advance!
~Jake.
p.s. I tried them out, and .357 rounds still seat in the cylinder just fine.. i'm just curious if I'm having the very early signs of this scoring..

greenjeans

Not scoring. Just build-up from the shorter .38s. Scrub it out real good and keep shooting. I've never had a problem with .38s in a .357. It will build up the carbon ring you see and could lead to the longer .357 not chambering fully or being hard to extract. Just clean good after shooting.

Doublestack

What you saw near the end of your chambers was a carbon ring that is easily cleaned out with a brass brush, some solvent, and a few patches. Absolutely nothing to worry about. Be sure to clean those chambers before stuffing the full length mags in though.

DS

rzbakri

I've had a taurus 357 for a few years and everytime I take it to the range, I shoot 100 rounds of 357's and my wife shoots 100 of the 38's and I've never noticed a problem with the pistol. I would'nt give it a second thought. Youl'll be fine. The only thing is that if you don't clean the cylinders out real good you won't be able to fit you're 357's in due to the carbon build up as mentioned by the two posts above me.

SIGSHR

I have found shooting 38 WCs results in accumulation of lubricant, a few
brush strokes usually clears it out.

Ruger machines groves in the .357 cylinder chambers right at the point where a .38 casing would end. (At least my SP-101 has them).

I suspect that this is done to compensate for the potential buildup of residue from shooting .38 Special rounds from the .357 chamber.

I find this area very time consuming to clean

JB696

I just looked at four .357 SP101's. Couldn't find an extra groove in any of them. These are all early models, though, maybe it's a new feature. How old is your gun?

I just looked at four .357 SP101's. Couldn't find an extra groove in any of them. These are all early models, though, maybe it's a new feature. How old is your gun?

The serial number checks out to a 2003 production date on the Ruger website.

funon1

Pitting?

Nothing to do with with caliber. There is no harm in shooting .38 Special in a .357 Mag chamber. Enjoy

Funon1