.380 too light?--Optimal daily carry caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy

I'm curious to hear what others consider the optimal carry caliber. Every caliber has disadvantages, the main one being the increased weight of the weapon that accompanies increased effectiveness. For everyday use in a relatively non-threatening envrironment, what would you suggest?
My personal thoughts have run along the .380-Mustang line. Too light, too heavy, what do you think. I would group 9mm/40/45 in roughly the same category, so let's not get mired in that old argument.

jwong

Hmmm... That old saying seems to be popping into my mind.. To change it to fit this case, it is better to have a .380 on you rather than a .45 at home if something happens to you! I feel that the .380 is pretty limited in penetration and on target energy transfer... And in this day in age, I would say that some 9mm guns are getting pretty small... (the Kahrs come to mind, though a bit heavy) But anyways, in my opinion I think that a 9mm would be better for daily concealed carry.

Rob Pincus

My first carry gun was a .380 Bersa. I loved it and it was very reliable. I then switched to a Colt Mustang and thought that it was a great gun as well, the .380 that I currently choose is a PPK, but to be honest that is a relatively rare thing. (only when I wear my tux
smile.gif
)
Somewhere along the line (most likely when I moved to vermont and not only could wear heavier clothing to conceal bigger weapons, but also perceived a need to for more pentration for similar reason...) I decided that a .380 just wasn't enough.
To this day I still carry a .32 when I need to have the tiniest package, but with guns like the Glock 27 around, it is hard for me to justify carrying the .380s.

chargar

I don't think the .380 is too light. With good ammo, it will do the job. I carry a Walther PPK in that caliber most every day in a pocket holster in my side pants pocket. The gun is loaded with Federal Hydra-shock ammo. I also carry a Glock 23 (40 S&W) in my brief case. I have been using the PPK since 1965 and the current ones are the best yet. Anyway...I don't loose sleep thinking I am underarmed.

Kodiac

Chargar - Consider Magsafe loads for your PPK. They are more expensive, but very much worth every penny in terms of wound ballistics. The .380 needs all the help it can get, and Magsafes are a BIG help... That is if your gun cycles them reliably.
Walthers, shaken - not stired...

Gino

Down here in south Florida, where the hot months are from April till November, I need a shorts gun. I have been carrying a 22 mag NAA mini revolver. I realized that I would not be at all comfortable trusting my life to such a small caliber, so I just put out the money and switched to a 32 Guardian. Not a 45, but it is small and light enough to go with me anywhere! I guess my comfort with the 32 round stems from the fact that I don't live in a high crime environment (small town with very low crime rate). When I go into the "big city" I carry an ultralite 38 stubby.

Kodiac

Think a little more about this subject, I was reminded of the little gun I looked at the other day.:
Taurus Millenium in 9MM. It was the same size as the Bersa I believe, and not much bigger than the PPK, but had a full 10 rounds of full power 9s instead of the 9MM KURTZ - or as we say - .380... The gun had a UGLY trigger, but then again, so does the PPK. And the Taurus was under 300 bucks... I think I would go Brazilian on this one.
The money I could save could be my own...

Status
Not open for further replies.