.380 round ball?

oldwheat

Any good sources for these?...I live in a condo & storage or work space is at a premium.....Not to sure that the wifey would go for casting in the kitchen ( or living room ;) ).....I live in Utah, BTW...........

mec

Warren /ozark sells them through, I believe Track of the Wolf. They are not all of the same size but the extra margin of the .380 diameter makes them work pretty good.

I've found that spere .375 balls work fine in my Uberti Navy while hornadys are of different diameters and frequently roll into the chambers without any engagement. Not unusual to retract seating lever and find a hornady .375 ball stuck to the seating stem.

oldwheat

Thanks, 'atchilly' Speer works purty good for me also....Been using them for years (usually w/o the benefit of grease & / or wads ;) )....Maybe .380 is overkill.......Only had a couple of multiple discharges in that time & on each occasion, I was 'getting by' with badly fitting caps.....I know that I had wads under the balls on at least one of those....................

oldwheat

......Nope, the only reason I knew it happened was the extra recoil...It was the chamber to one side so it merely shot forward nicking the forward frame slightly, didn't even mar the finish appreciably :D ....I'm sure that an honest to goodness chain fire would be a whole lot more serious...........

Dave Markowitz

I use the Warren .380 balls in my Uberti 1851 Navy replica. They give better accuracy than .375 balls, due to the longer bearing surface I'm guessing.

gmatov

Those National balls are cast, and I have bought 500 each, .380 and .451.

Bad balls, to my eye. Mould halves not indexed, .451 balls mike .440 to .471 at the split. .380 are not as bad, but still not round, partings are misaligned.

Have lots of swaged ball left, and my own Lee cast, so have not shot any of theirs. Have to seat one and see if it shaves a decent ring. I fear not, with that much misalignment. Can't seat them on their side with the sprue cut to the side either, that's even worse, 1/4 inch flat, near 1/32 cut off the ball.

Cheers,

George