.380 results

Jeffenwulf

I tested out a few rounds in my Bersa .380 today using the old water jug method. I used the 102g Golden Saber, the 88g Rem UMC JHP, and 90g Hydrashock along with the 95g WWB winclean (BEB).

I wasn't buying up all the water on the planet, so I only tested one of each to get an idea ... the rest were fired to make sure everything functioned properly in the gun. You can't tell a whole lot from just one firing, but I figured I'd share what I found.

100_6275.jpg

The first one I fired was the Remington 102 grain golden saber. It penetrated the back of the second jug and tore the label on the third, but didn't penetrate. I took it out of the jug wall with my knife. It spread to an average of about .575. The petals were all curved into a U shape, which would probably cut like crazy. Recovered weight 101.7g.

The second was a Federal Hydrashock 90 grain (reduced recoil). It penetrated the 3rd jug, but did not exit. When I recovered it from the bottom it averaged around .475, though seems much smaller than the Golder Saber. It lost one petal. Recovered weight 89.3 grains.

The Rem UMC 88gr JHP punctured the back of the second jug slightly and settled in the bottom of the second jug. There was total jacket separation. Both components were recovered and totaled 87.5g. Average diameter for the jacket was about .575 and the lead averaged about .600.

I fired the 95 grain Winclean and it punctured all 4 and kept going. When I tried a second time with my last 5 jugs, it punctured all 5 and kept on going. There was no bullet recovery.

For anyone curious about the $9.99 pricetag on the Hydrashocks, I bought several boxes 3 years ago and these were still sitting in my safe.

** Edit ** By the way, I'm 5'10" 185 and I didn't really notice much of a difference, but when my wife (it's her gun) who is 5'2" 110 shot a mixed magazine, she felt that the Hydrashocks had more recoil than the others.

ImDisaster

thrgunsmith

thanks for excellent report

I shot my new LCP the other day, had a hard time hitting the side
of a barn so I guess I'll just use it for up close (if I ever need it for that)
I could handle the recoil easy but didn't enjoy shooting it.

KS.45

Try going inside the barn to shoot .. hopefully you will get more hits .. :D

Recon7

this guy says fmj is ok for .380 out of a small barrel.http://www.mouseguns.com/tactics/seltac.htm

the box o truth reminds us herehttp://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26.htm
that 4 jugs is the minimum if you believe in the FBI standard.

If a .380 expands, there just isn't enough energy to push that expanded bullet into the 12'' plus real estate. jhp ammo introduces the possibility to fail (under 12'' penetration) and you know what to expect out of a fmj. I would rather a .355 pinhole in the BG's vital organs over a mushroomed .575 bullet lodged into fat of muscle.

RetiredMajor

So, is it conventional wisdom that I'm better off firing FMJ as opposed to JHP out of my new Ruger LCP? This is my first .380, so I'd appreciate any advice.

What if I alternated rounds in the magazine? Is that the best of both worlds?

oneounceload

this guy says fmj is ok for .380 out of a small barrel.http://www.mouseguns.com/tactics/seltac.htm

the box o truth reminds us herehttp://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26.htm
that 4 jugs is the minimum if you believe in the FBI standard.

If a .380 expands, there just isn't enough energy to push that expanded bullet into the 12'' plus real estate. jhp ammo introduces the possibility to fail (under 12'' penetration) and you know what to expect out of a fmj. I would rather a .355 pinhole in the BG's vital organs over a mushroomed .575 bullet lodged into fat of muscle

Question - I am 6'3, 260, wear a XXL or better....my chest doesn't measure 12" FTB......why would you need MORE than that?? Guess I am missing something here....fill me in please

KyJim

The FBI's 12 inch standard was adopted with law enforcement needs in mind. It takes into consideration that the shot may enter from an angle (like through a shoulder) or an arm or something might get in the way. It may have to pass through exterior objects like a windshield and interior objects like bones. It was adopted after the infamous Miami shootout with bank robbers left many doubting the penetration ability of the FBI's handguns, especially the 9mm. For a quick read on the shootout, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

Civilians probably don't have the same need for 12 inches of penetration as LEO but they might. Anyway, it is a standard worth considering but I wouldn't balk at a load that only penetrated 11.5 inches.

Bill DeShivs

35 years ago no one carried a .32 or .380 acp because all that was available was FMJ. FMJ shooting results were dismal-as evidenced by the many shootings then on record.
Ammunition companies developed modern HP bullets that actually worked, making these two calibers viable carry options. In one fell swoop, the "FBI penetration standards" and Internet commandos have perpetuated the absolute myth that FMJ is best in .32 and .380.
Don't believe it!

scsov509

There was a shooting in Washington State last June where an individual used a Kel-Tec 3AT to defend himself against an individual who attempted to run him down with a vehicle. The individual fired two shots from his weapon, both of which struck the driver in the chest killing him immediately. Victim's name is Joshua Smith, and it is reported that the bullets were good old FMJ rounds.

thrgunsmith

I have heard

So, is it conventional wisdom that I'm better off firing FMJ as opposed to JHP out of my new Ruger LCP? This is my first .380, so I'd appreciate any advice.

What if I alternated rounds in the magazine? Is that the best of both worlds?

I have heard that FMJ has better feeding through a LCP, but I have only used fmj so I have no data to back it up personally.

Anyone else have a good answer?

Wuchak

thrgunsmith said:
I have heard that FMJ has better feeding through a LCP, but I have only used fmj so I have no data to back it up personally.

FMJ's will feed more reliably in all semi-auto handguns thanks to their smooth rounded nose. It's the truncated nose on the HP's that tend to catch on feedramps.

KyJim

FMJ's will feed more reliably in all semi-auto handguns thanks to their smooth rounded nose. It's the truncated nose on the HP's that tend to catch on feedramps.

This is partially correct. Many semi-autos will feed a wide variety of hollow points just as reliably as full metal jacket. Some are more picky about the ammo. Older semi-autos are generally more prone to have problems with hollow points.

HisSoldier

I carry MagTech hollow points based on a similar water jug test. I was very impressed. I hope I never have to inflict that on anyone.:(